Chapter 18. The Trial

While Cassian fights the Empire, Orson and Jyn are trying to survive the step between the Realms of Viva and Muertos. So how are they doing?

I don't own anything.
========================================
Orson's P.O.V.

I was right. It did hurt. A lot. What a painful way to re-die.

However, I forgot what pain felt like when we were cast into the calm yellowish some that Galen and Lyra had found me in. Jyn and I glance at each other. "This isn't too bad," I comment.

"Just wait," she said and raises her hand to point to the growing vortex ahead. "It gets a lot worse."

We float towards the vortex. When it's close enough, I can see the turmoil inside of it. I twist my hand and clasp Jyn's wrist. It's one thing to have us tied together but the changes of the strap snapping or cutting through our skin are high. Jyn does the same. "Do you want your staff?" She asks.

I study her for a moment. Would it better for her to have the staff or me? A staff is really a two-handed weapon. "That might be a better idea," I said after a moment. It would take less effort for her to control the small metal piece versus the long staff.

We switch weapons just moments before we're pulled into the vortex. Immediately, we're tossed around and I can feel the strain on my wrist from trying to hold on to Jyn. I hear terrified screams of innocent lives I've taken, I see the regrets I had lived in my last moments of my first life. I do everything I can to block those voices out.

Suddenly we stop spinning. Jyn and I are both shaken terribly. We look at each other. Jyn starts to laugh. "We made it farther than Cassian and I did," she said brightly.

I smile a little. But I know this isn't the end. "Get ready for the real fight," I said. Jyn nods and I notice that she looks healthier than when I found her. I also realize that I can't feel my wounds anymore. I check my hand. All the cuts from holding the metal too tightly are gone. So going between realms heals your body? Great!

Jyn and I stay in the calm area, floating softly. When we're pulled into the next frantic part, I see other types of creatures, mainly shadows. A shadow can't be defeated physically but it can haunt and blind you from the actually predators.

"On your left!" Jyn yells. There's some giant creature thing that looks like a tick heading for us. I swing my staff into the creature. It knocks it back a little but not enough for me to be satisfied. Jyn is dealing with other enlarged bugs on her side. She's having better success than I am.

I twist myself so our backs are together. I clamp my teeth on the staff and pull Jyn's stick-blaster thing from her belt. Let's see if blaster shots kill in this part. To my surprise, they do.

Jyn sees what I'm doing and smiles. "Great!" She shoves the metal where her blaster was and takes the staff from my mouth. Jyn uses it to knock aside smaller creatures. "Krennic, use the metal instead." I obey and swap out her stick-blaster for the metal. Jyn and I hold on to the staff with our tied hands. I disable the large bugs with the metal and Jyn shoots them. It takes us no time to learn how to work together efficiently. We make a good time.

It's actually fun beating up the creatures. Then the bugs begin to run from us. Jyn and I cheer, thinking that we had won. How wrong we were. I look up to see a large swirling airstream. "Dammit!" I hiss. "We're going to be torn apart again!"