Chapter 15. We Go Down Together

The Empire is making pellet-like blaster shots that can kill ghosts. It's up to Orson, Lyra and the Rogue One crew to stop them.

I don't own anything.
========================================
Orson's P.O.V.

The plan is simple: whine like K2 and hopefully gain my rank back. Or at least, that's how it will appear to the Empire. While I do this, K2 will slip inside the base and shut down any cameras or traps set up around the portal. That will be Cassian's signal to lead the rest of the team in from behind and get as close to the portal thing as they can. All I have to do is keep the Empire's attention on me. Simple, right?

Not so much. The plan is terribly flawed. There are so many variables relying on normalcy in the Empire. In fact, the change of survival with this plan would be 2% if we were in the physical world.

But it's the only plan that has a chance (or rather, the only plan we could draw up) and with only a week to think about this, we didn't have much time to flush out the flaws.

It's the night before we're going to attack. Lyra straps some supples to her Markavipes then begins tying everyone's weapons on. No one is calm and I don't blame anyone. I sigh and help Lyra with tying up the supplies. Neither of us speak to each other and Lyra looks kind of mad.

When she speaks, her voice has a cold ring to it. "You know, I don't think this mission was the smartest," she says. No, it's not the smartest. I don't respond and she continues talking. "Do you realize how much of an emotional toll this is going to take on everyone? And we have no guarantee that we're going to make it out of there or find Galen or Jyn. We are going in blind! Our only resources are Ryln and Malik's observational surveys."

"I know," I said quietly. "I know the risks. We're all going to be hurt by this not just physically, but mentally. But if we don't stop the Empire, then who will?"

"I think you're missing some my point. Our team is not emotionally stable. Are we really willing to risk everything? Are you willing to risk their mental and physical health for the sake of destroying something we have no idea how to destroy?!"

I sigh. "Look, if you want to hold me responsible for whatever happens on the field, fine. But you and the others chose me to be the team leader. If you wanted to lead you should have spoken up."

Lyra scoffs. "Even if I did, they would have still chosen you." She walks off to grab some other things. I sigh and look up at the dark sky. I know that I'm walking blindly into a battle no one wants with trauma survivors as my teammates. Over the week, I would ask myself if I should be the leader. What kind of idiot forces trauma survivors to relive something they'd rather forget?

My fingers wrap around the Kyber crystal. I still want to find Jyn but it seems like that mission has been pushed back and classified as less important. The mission to end the Empire once and for all has taken over, but I know better. No one can destroy the Empire, no matter how hard we try. If I make it out of this fight alive, I'll continue to fight the Empire but I'll probably be alone. I doubt Jyn will want to help and Galen is too afraid to fight. I can't ask the other Rebellion members either. Finding Jyn was their only goal.

We ride the Markavipes through the airstreams and arrive at Walden. Ryln and Malik are waiting for us. No one talks as we set up to spend the night. When we're finally done, I offer to take the first watch. I can hear Baze and Chirrut making small talk.

"What do you want to do... after we find Jyn, Chirrut?"

"I want to spend the rest of my life in peace with you."