Chapter 3. Barren Planet

I don't own anything.
==========================================
Orson's P.O.V.

There's an issue with the afterlife. Spaceships don't exist so no one can get off their planets. I have been walking around this planet for quite a long time and even though it will take a few days to entirely cover every centimeter of this planet's ground, I wish I could get off the surface so I can search elsewhere.

My first day out on the road hasn't been too bad. Sure, there's a few large creatures here and there but as long as I don't get too close to them or try and threaten them, the animals leave me alone. I'm not sure why Lyra claims it was so dangerous. Perhaps my inexperience in this world makes it seem like things are not as terrifying as Lyra declares them to be.

The sun reaches the midpoint of the sky and I realize just how inconvenient Imperial clothing is. I'm sweating horribly. I should have realized that the cold nights meant intense suns. With Galen's farm right at the base of the mountains, it's would be naturally cooler than the other parts of the planet that are more exposed. What a rookie mistake.

I find a lone tree to sit under in the shade and decide eat an orange. It's so weird to be exploring the area alone. No body guards, no friends or family, no high ranking officers tagging along. It feels quite wonderful...

And yet, I feel lonely at the same time. I suppose I'll have to get used to it. It might be a very long time before I find Jyn or anyone who may join my escapades. But first, I need a way to get off this planet.

I start to rack my brain on where Jyn could be. If what Lyra said was true, and the spirits of people pass over to the dead, landing near the ones they cared about most, did Jyn not care about her parents as much as I thought she did back in the realm of the living? Wasn't that her reason to keep fighting after her mother died? She was determined to free her father and live with him for the rest of their lives. Once Galen was dead, Jyn teamed up with a bunch of random Rebellion members and the Imperial pilot to take down the Death Star and avenge her parent's deaths. At least I think she did.

The Death Star. Maybe that was it. Jyn had gotten so close to her friends that her father and mother were pushed to the back of her brain. Was she with her friends? Well, there was only one way to find out. I'd have to find her friends.

I finish eating the orange and start toying with the Kyber crystal pendant. I wonder why Galen would give me a Kyber crystal. It's not like I can do anything with it. I need some sort of power amplifier or the Force to use he crustal's powers. There must have been some meaning behind it besides the fact that my best friend gave it, it would confirm to Jyn that I was reformed, and it was probably a good luck charm.

My eyes eventually avert from the crystal and I gaze out across the horizon. I have no idea where I am, nor which way I came from. If the sun was hidden away, I wouldn't be able to tell which way was east or west. The planet looks the same from every angle.

I search for anything notable along the horizon. There was something peculiar ahead. It almost looked like... smoke... Maybe someone else lives out here on this barren planet.

I follow the smoke and sure enough, it leads right to a little cottage. The cottage was surrounded by heavy duty transformers and large communication towers. Whoever lives here must have control over all the communication in the realm. I must say that the rig is very impressive. I walk up to the door and knock on it. "Hello? Is anyone home?"

No answer. I knock again and call out. Again, I hear nothing. Discouraged, I turn around and walk off. But I decide to not wander too far. If I don't see any owners around the area before nightfall, I'll use the cottage as shelter for the night.

I continue to wander around, making sure to draw something in the dirt or stack rocks on top of each other so I can find my way back to the cottage. If there's one thing I should have considered before leaving the Ersos, it was bringing along a compass of some sort. I have never had a strong sense of direction and Galen always teased me about it. Back in our academy days, he'd drag me along one of his crazy explorations and then tell me to lead the way home. We'd get lost and he would think it was hilarious. Of course, I never thought it was funny. Most of the time, we'd return to the academy and receive a harsh beating for not being back on time. I hated the punishment. Galen did too but that didn't stop him from toying with me.
#~~~~~~~~~~#
Time seems to fly when you're exploring and it wasn't long before night fell. I return to where the cottage was. There's a dim light inside. I walk back up to the door and knock. Like before, no one answers. I wait a little before I knock again and call out. "Hello?" My voice cracks slightly and I realize how weird it is to hear my own voice after having not talked for a while.

Still, no one answers the door. I sigh and turn to leave. My chin bumps into the barrel of a gun. I back up and yank out my own pistol.

It's the pilot who defected, Bodhi Rook. He's looking at me furiously. I don't blame him, considering everything that he's been through between the Empire and all. But I didn't know he had died. I open my mouth to speak but he says something even before I can make a sound.

"I never expected to see you here so soon. What happened? Did the Empire kill you because your weapon failed?" His tone is iciest tone I have ever heard in my life.

I wasn't sure what to answer. Yet I find myself saying "Yes. The Empire killed me at the Battle of Scarif." I lower my gun and let it fall from my hand. What am I doing? I have never let myself become defenseless before. I think Galen and Lyra's rehabilitation has made an impact on my actions more than I was aware of.

Rook still isn't happy. "So you died at the Battle of Scarif too?" I nod. "Wonderful. Now why are you here?"

"I... I though you could be of some assistance." Way to go, Orson. This was how you were going to die in the afterlife - if that is possible.

"Assistance?!" Rook shoves the gun against my neck, making me back up against the door. "I think not. As far as I'm concerned, you are not receiving any assistance from this place. Now get out of here before I blow your brains to pieces." I have never seen him this angry before. And I can't help but wonder why. So I make a stupid move and ask why.

Rook cocks his gun. "It's been a rough three weeks, Director Orson Callan Krennic." I hate the way he spat my name out like I was another kind of flea. "And I don't have time to deal with another problem. Now get out."

"I want to know if you know anything about Jyn!" I cry. I manage to slip away from the door. Rook and I circle each other until we are standing where the other had been previously.

Rook fires his gun. The shot lands behind me, slightly grazing my side. I guess I've provoked him enough. I snatch up my pistol and run off.

This was going to be one rough night...
==========================================
Yay! We met Bodhi! But what will happen next!?

Please review!