Mela Goes to School

Melamin (私の愛)

Opening: Me Against the World-Nightcore

Chapter Five: Mela Goes to School

The next morning Kensui got up, got dressed, ate his breakfast, brushed his teeth and went out the door. On the way down the street, he felt a presence behind him. Turning around, he saw that it was Mela, fully dressed, following him. "Uh…Where do you think you're going?"

"Wherever you're going," she cheerfully replied. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to school. Not that I want to, I just don't want Harumi and Satomu nagging me later."

"I'm going too," she said. Then she put a finger to her cheek. "What's school?"

His jaw dropped in disbelief. "Don't tell me elves don't have school?!"

"Maybe if you explained what school is, I can tell you."

"School is where young people go to learn skills they'll need for the rest of their lives."

"Oh. Education. Our parents raise us teaching us everything we need to know. Then we have libraries with lots and lots of books that tell us what we don't know."

"Study at your own pace. I like it. They want us to learn as much as we can at an early age here."

"Well, when your lifespan is about a thousand years, I guess you can learn at your own pace," she said with a thoughtful look on her face.

"A th-th-thousand years?!" he exclaimed. "I hate to break it to you, but we only have a lifespan of between seventy to a hundred and twenty years."

"Ah!" she exclaimed brightening. "So that's why older elves refer to humans as little more than children." She then got a sad look on her face. "You die so young."

Kensui hit the ground.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kensui and Mela stood before the gates of his high school. It was made of white brick and stretched out to the sides. A grey brick fence surrounded the perimeter while a great silver gate adorned the entrance to the school. Statues of dragons and angels littered the alcoves of the school.

"This is a beautiful place," she said, her eyes shining.

"Does anything put a damper on you?" he asked, glaring at her. She shook her head.

"Kusinagi," came a familiar voice. Satomu walked up. "You're a brave man. Walking with another man's wife to school. You dog." He said the last part while elbowing Kensui playfully.

"Th-Th-Th-This isn't what you think," Kensui said, waving his hands back and forth.

"WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE?!" came another all too familiar voice.

"Oh dear," Kensui commented.

Harumi stormed up. "Why are you walking with another man's wife to school?" she asked, looking extremely pissed. "Plus, why would someone's wife be coming to school in the first place?!"

Mela bowed. "This is all my fault," she commented as all eyes turned to her. "Kensui explained yesterday what was said. I'm truly sorry. My Japanese is not so good. I meant to tell him I was his cousin, not his neighbor's wife. My family has to go on a trip for most of the school year, so I am living with him until they come back. In the meantime, I am a transfer student at this school. Please don't get mad at him. It was sudden for him as well. I take all responsibility."