Chapter One

The audience rose to their feet and applauded

The audience rose to their feet and applauded. The sound of clapping echoed throughout the Nederlander Theater, enthusiastic shouts and whistling accompanying them. A row of actors from the show, Newsies, sauntered out onto the stage, bowing, and then let another line of preformers take theirs. Every single member of the audience was on their feet, clapping until their hands turned bright red.

The lengthy applause continued as a recording of a 'King of New York' played dimly in the background. As the song began to fade into silence, and the actors dispersed off of the stage, the velvet stage curtain lowered and covered the riveting set. After that, the clapping was exchanged for loud murmurings of praise towards the flawless performance.

As I picked up my beige wrap coat draped over my seat, I turned to my friend, Ginger Anderson. I'd known her since we were both in kindergarten, deeming her my longest and best friend. Together we had grown up watching reruns of old television shows along with MGM musicals; mainly starring Fred Astaire, Peter Lawford, Ava Gardner, or Judy Garland. Those we our favorite 'Golden Celebrities.' And actually, Ginger's parents were such musical fanatics, that they named her after Ginger Rogers.

We shared many of the same interests; such as listening to Broadway songs on repeat, dressing up from the forties, and reiterating the theme songs from Batman, Leave it to Beaver, and I Love Lucy. So it was no surprise to anyone when we moved to New York City just so we could be close to 42nd Street and all the Broadway theaters.

"Jeremy Jordan is so attractive," Ginger said dreamily, buttoning up her black, form-fitting trench coat.

"Oh really? I think Tommy Bracco is," I said, a smirk playing across my lips. Who was more attractive in the Newsies cast what really the only thing we disagreed about. In fact, sometimes we'd spend our evenings trying to convince the other that one actor was more good-looking than the other.

"But he's so short! And you're only saying that because he plays Spot---who happens to be your favorite character!" Ginger smiled at me, revealing her pearly-white teeth.

She was always the prettier one out of the two; at least in my eyes. But I also had proof:

Whenever we'd go to a coffee shop, amusement park, or any public place for that matter, there'd always be a man flirting with her or complimenting how lovely she looked or offering to pay for a beverage of some type. But I don't blame them in the least. Her white-blonde hair was irresistible, along with her nearly flawless complexion made her the target for any eligible man.

"Why are you putting your coat on?" I asked, accidently changing the subject. "The meet-and-greet is inside!"

"I forgot about that!" she gasped, quickly undoing her buttons.

"That's hard to believe, since it's all you've been talking about for the past two weeks!" I smiled, draping my coat over my left forearm.

"Did you bring the posters?" Ginger whispered as we exited our aisle and made our way towards the lobby.