Chapter Thirty

Josh wasn't joking when he said I wouldn't be the only girl there

There were probably more females than males occupying the apartment; which unfortunately meant that nearly every guy had a posse of three or four girls gathered around him, as if he was a rare display in a museum.

It was intimidating and frankly overwhelming. There was barely enough room to manuver myself into a secluded corner (not that there was one available of accessible, even if I wanted to), Broadway showtunes playing at a deafening volume, and hardly anyone that I recognized. I quickly lost Josh after stepping a foot into the sea of people. Unlike Ginger, it was not my ideal cup of tea.

Finally finding a place to stand without being trampled or violently jostled, I began to search the crowd. I'd hoped to discover at least one familiar face, but my chances weren't looking too good.

Suddenly, a tap on my shoulder made me turn around. It startled me at first, but I was instantly relieved when I realized it was just Sky.

"Hey... Was it London or Angela?"

It took me a half-second to understand what he was referring to. The cringey scene at the local coffee house entered into my head. I'd nearly forgotten about it.

"Angelina," I corrected quickly, not wanting the embarrassment to register on my complexion.

"Cool. I didn't know you were coming," he said, a broad smile matching his equally ethusatic voice. He ran a hand through his gelled auburn hair, his deep brown eyes studying my face.

"Same with you," I shouted over the music. "Josh invited me last night."

"Oh, really?"

I nodded my head, realizing our conversation would quickly dissolve into awkward silence. I bit the inside of my cheek, rummaging through the files of conversation starters (or in this case, ways to continue a conversation) in my mind. But, just like trying to prove Ginger wrong, my brain went blank.

I didn't want Sky to leave. He was the only person that I knew and probably the only person. If Josh and Ben had this many friends just from Boston, I'd likely never see either one of them again tonight.

But, much to my relief, Sky spoke again---which I could barely hear above the blarring music and almost equally as loud talking.

"What happened to your crutches?" He glanced down at my feet, which were uncomfortably stuffed into a pair of dark semi-formal flats.

"Yep. Apparently my ankle wasn't as injured as everyone thought."

"What?" he asked, leaning closer for me to repeat.

"Apparently I'm not as injured as they thought!" I felt a little guilty after practically screaming in his ear. But he didn't seem to mind, because he didn't even flinch.