Chapter Twenty-six

The two professionally clad doctors finished their testing in under ten minutes

The two professionally clad doctors finished their testing in under ten minutes. I waited outside during the entire process, tapping my foot habitually against the floor.

After the process was over, the doctors approached me and announced that the results would be given on a later date.

With a heavy sigh, I rose and turned the door to Ginger's room. She lay there peacefully, a faint grin painted across her lips.

"What took you so long?" she asked playfully. "Those doctors were starting to creep me out."

"Sorry," I mumbled, resuming my position on the edge of her bed.

"So, what happened while I was out?"

"Ginger," I scolded, unamused by her attempt at a joke. "Don't say that. It sounds awful."

"Oh my goodness, Ange," she laughed, rolling her eyes. "Don't act so serious. I'm fine now, just relax."

"Yeah, we'll see how fine you are when the doctors return with your results."

Ginger rolled her baby blue eyes again but kept her mark but loving smile. Once again it amazed me how she could stay so calm in situations like these. I wouldn't have the strength.

"You and Ben seem pretty friendly," Ginger said casually, her left eyebrow slightly raised.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, barely able to console a smile.

"C'mon, Josh told me all about it. You guys went on a date!"

Ginger was definitely fine.

Excitement ignited in my chest and stomach, leaving me with that familiar tingling sensation. Even though I was positive Ginger was exaggerating, I still couldn't suppress that feeling of hope.

"What? He did not use that term," I protested, even though I had no physical proof. But I didn't require any, because I knew two key things: Josh would never say that, and Ginger always exaggerated.

She huffed, tossing her angel blonde hair over her shoulder. "Who cares? You know it's true."

This time I rolled my eyes. "Ginger, Ben offered me dinner because I was on the verge of having a panic attack. He was just trying to be friendly."

Despite my effort, Ginger didn't seem to buy that theory. The corners of her mouth were hinting at a smirk, much to my displeasure, while her left brow was still cocked in a skeptical arch.

One fact about Ginger was if she was certain on something, despite the evidence, there was almost nothing that could alter her desicion. Sometimes it had it's advantages, but most of the time it was just bothersome.

"Why didn't Josh go?" she asked presently, still trying to prove her point.

"First of all, because he wasn't having a panic attack. And secondly, I had qualms about leaving you by yourself, so Josh offered to stay behind - like a gentleman."

I could tell my face was flushed simply by the faint burning in my cheeks and the exasperation in my voice. Arguing and trying to convince Ginger was both a physical and mental battle. It required so much energy. Which was something I certainly did not have.

"You're so ignorant," she said at last, her arms folded beneath her chest. "Why can't you just except the truth?"

I knew she was joking, but it was honestly draining. The last thing I had wanted to do was delve into another fight.

Thankfully the two doctors reappeared in the doorway to prohibit another ramble. They stood there, clipboards in hand, stoneface. I don't think I ever saw them, or another doctor, without clipboards. It made me wonder if they were glued to their palms.

A suspenseful silence pervaded the small hospital room as the physicians studied the information on their clipboards. Their quietude left me anxious and uncomfortable, figuring that it only meant the worst.

However, that only made it worse when they began speaking.

"Ginger," the female said in a naturally soothing tone; "your results are in. Would you like to hear them in private or-"

"This is fine," Ginger interrupted, her mouth devoid of a smile.

"Alright," the female doctor said. "Overall, your heart seems to be functioning perfectly fine, which, in all honesty, we were not expecting. However we advise that you relax for a week or so before resuming any strenuous labor or vigorous exercise."

A wave of relief crashed over me and I realized I hadn't breathed the entire time the female physician was speaking.