14

This has been so fun writing this. I appreciate everyone being patient with me (: I am in softball season right now so it's going to be a once a week thing for 3 months. Busy busy busy! Hope everyone likes this chapter! Please vote!

"Mom?" I barged in the front door it was dinner time, "You home?" I stopped, I couldn't move. I heard the TV on. Great just great, tell me this isn't happening. She wouldn't do this. The tv is playing some gruesome show. I know it's not Alison. Mom never let's her watch TV before she's done with her homework and that's usually after dinner. I walk straight past the couch not looking at him sitting in his recliner. I refuse to accept he is back. I just need to go straight upstairs to get Ali. She's not safe as long as he is here. Then a loud yell came from the 6'4, 280 pound grown as man on the couch. He was bitter of course. He hasn't shaved in what looks like a week. He had a beer bottle resting comfortably in his hand. I turned to him knowing now I have to acknowledge him.

"Boy! Show some r-respect!" His brow furrowed at me, he was drunk. "Hey asshole, what the hell are you doing here? Enough respect?" He looked back at the tv squeezing his beer that sat on the arm wrest of his chair. He smirked at me, "Guess your mom can't stay away from me. I mean who can blame her?" My face turned red from anger, I moved towards the chair standing over him, "Dave, I will kill you if you touch her!" He laughed at my threat not taking it seriously, "too late son. And I suggest you walk away now before we have a little dejà vú of what happened last time. And I don't believe you want that." He let out a laugh, it made me sick he seemed so proud of it.

I ran upstairs approached Alison unharmed in her play room where she was playing barbies, completely clueless. "Hey sweetness!" I tried to not show her I was shaken up. Let's pack a couple of dolls and we can go to one of my friends house and play, "they aren't dolls they are BarbiesJamie." Her brows came together, I smiled, "your always right. Hurry up we need to leave so you have time to play before bed." She grabbed three dolls and a million dresses I kept my eye on the door as she slipped them into a bag. "Wanna play airplanes?" I ask knowing this was a chance for me to be able to run without scaring her.

She smile and nodded, I through her onto my back and we ran downstairs without stopping I grabbed my keys off the hook and booked it for my truck. Before the door closed I heard, "where ar-" and it closed. We were in the car peeling out of the driveway when the front door flew open, he through his beer at us as we drove away. I felt a sense of relief wash over me as I look to see Ali playing with her dolls in the back seat. We're safe.

"Where are we going?" She had no clue what was going on. I shook my head I have no idea, I took a long pause before realizing I hadn't answered, "to a friends no worries!" A while back me and Ali had to make these trips quite often my sophomore and junior year. Mel and Gabe were always there for me, but it always felt like such an inconvenience. Dave hasn't been back since august, now here he is. Everything was okay, I wasn't having to hide at my friends. And now It's almost Christmas and he can't get a grip. Why is he here now of all times? I finally start to feel normal and now I have him to deal with? I can't go to Gab or Mel's, Dave figured out where we would always go and come and drag us back. I start getting flustered. What do I do?

"Jamie? Where are we going?" She sounded concern. She is so smart, I hold my shit together barely. "Ali I'm so sorry I don't have an answer right now, you hungry?" She shook her head no, I made eye contact with her through my mirror she looks disappointed in her self then nodded her head, "want chicken nuggets?" She smiled so bright, "oh yes please!" Her eyes widen with each word she said. Mom never went to McDonald with Ali for two reasons. One, it absolutely horrible for you. The second being that we live in a small town.

If there's one terrible thing I had to say about living in a small town it's that McDonalds is always packed. I swear everyone who lives here eats at McDonalds for dinner. It makes the town look huge. The line took forever. When we were leaving and Ali was happy with her kiddy meal and toy I had to think of my next destination.

We drove around I picked up my phone and called my mom, "Kelly?" I called her Kelly when I decided she wasn't acting like a Mom which was very often up until lately with Dave being gone. "Honey I can explain! We have been beh-" I cut her off, "I don't want to hear it. Me and Ali will come home when he leaves." She paused took a deep breath, "honey we need him." I started to yell I can believe she would be like this, "You know damn well I have been making enough money! And you should be making enough. We have been doing this for months just fine. You are lonely and willing to put yourself and Ali in danger to feel close to someone." I hung up on her. What a bitch! I let out a yell in aggravation hitting my steering wheel. Then I look behind me forgetting about Ali her face was white as a ghost. "Al... I'm sorry I'm just a little upset. Let's go somewhere. Who's house do you want to go to?" She took a moment, "PAIGE!!!" She started to clap and laugh. Great... just great.. this is what I want her to see. "Okay let's go there." It was only a matter of time before I'd have to tell her about him. We pulled into the driveway, josh wasn't home. It was 9 o'clock. I called her cellphone from my truck in her driveway. No answer.

I start to get nervous. There's no way Dave knows about her. She's never met him. I turn to Ali, "stay in the car." I go to the door and open it. "Paige? You home?" I listen and don't hear a response. Then I hear a shower turn off. I run back to my car. Whoops!

"Let's just wait a few minutes before we go inside. My phone lights up, "hey! Okay before you say anything I'm outside." The phone hangs up and Paige with a towel on her head opens the door. Ali jumps out of the car running to her with her dolls secure in her hands.

"Hey Paige! Can I play inside it's too cold outside?" Paige smiles at Alison, "of course you can! Are you hungry?" Alison looks at me, "No Jamie got me McDonalds! But don't tell my mom!" She paced a finger of her lips, "your secret is safe with me." She winked at Ali who giggled and went into the house to play. Paige closed the door and stayed on the porch looking at me, "what's going on?" She was filled with a worrisome look. "It's a long story, is it okay if she sleeps here tonight? I know that's a lot to ask, but we can't go home.." I look down feeling guilty having to ask Paige for anything. She answers immediately without hesitating, "Of course she can, you can to if you need to. But can you please tell me what's going on? You're freaking me out." I looked into her eyes then pulled her into my arms, I felt my throats start to close up. I couldn't hold it in. I don't want this to happen again. I squeeze Paige harder and start to cry softly. She squeezes back and we sit down on her porch. I put my elbows on my knees and rest my head on my hands. She rubbed my back softly. We stayed like this for quit a while. I look up my face burning hot, "I'm fine so is Alison that's all that matters. I will tell you all about it when it's safe to I promise, but right now I am starving." Paige smiled at me, she gets it. She always understands what I'm saying even if I don't say it. She's my person.

We walk into the house to see Alison sound to sleep on the carpet in the living room with her dolls scattered out around her. I pick her up and Paige guides me to her room where we tuck Ali in and let her drift off to sleep hopefully with no comprehension of why she's here and not in her own bed, safe.