18

This blonde was flawless. She had long blonde hair perfectly layered to her hips. Her tan skin reflected off of her perfectly next to the bonfire. Her ripped jeans and loose white tank top with a gray bralette made her look effortlessly gorgeous. Who is she?

James made eye contact with me then looked guiltily toward the ground hand on the back of his neck as he looked bashful. I was on a whole new planet of confusion. Gabe popped up behind me, "Oh the lovely Blair. Now she's fun." I roll my eyes in his direction he picked up on it, "Come with me, and we can talk." He looked her up and down as he said it, jealousy ran through his veins too.

I gathered myself grabbing another beer before walking with Gabe. When I turn to see what James is doing, he doesn't even notice I'm leaving he's so zoned into whatever little miss perfect is talking about.

I hate that I already hate her and I haven't even met her. That's not who I am. But just from looking at her even from a distance, I can't compete.

Gabe and I sort of got away from the crowd. No one notices were gone yet. I look around not facing Gabe placing my hand in my forehead. What is happening? I turn to Gabe, "who's she?" He looks questioningly, "Who? Blair?! Oh, nobody she's just an 'old friend' so you could say." I gave him my bitch look, "Quit playing games. Now, why are you so mad at me?" Obviously not wanting to return to the Blair subject, "See Paige, that's where you are wrong. I'm not mad at you I'm really not. Just tell me what you want." Then we heard footsteps crunching in leaves behind me. Gabe grabbed me and tossed me behind him, "Let's go," He whispered. My heart began to race, "It's Dan isn't it?" I felt the people behind us getting closer. Just need to make it to James then we will be okay. Or maybe he will be to occupied with, 'Gabby' I sounded so petty in my own head.

"What are we gonna do now?" I couldn't help the sense of urgency in my voice. He looked at me and slightly turned his head like a puppy tilt, "You know you're actually cute when you get all frantic." I punched him in the arm immediately, "I mean it!" He nodded, "I know I know, let's just get back with everyone. You're safe don't worry." He slightly rubbed my back like that day when I had a panic attack at the school. It was calming, surprisingly.

I saw Blair first, she's hard to miss flaunting her gorgeous self around everyone. She was talking with Ben, Ethan, and James now. Come to think of it Gabe was the only one who didn't seem to thrilled to see her.

I turned to Gabe before getting to close to the others. "How do you know her?" He put his hands on both shoulders and leaned into my gaze, "Seriously Paige, you have nothing to worry about. You are ten times the person she is or will ever be. Don't let the looks fool you. She's a bitch, and I have a feeling me and you are the only ones who know it." I scoff at him, "I've never met her." Folding my arms and brushing his off of me, "You know you got a feeling when you saw her. And that's called your gut and you better listen to it." I nodded toward him, then put a fake peppy smile on my face. Hoping my buzz would turn to something a little more soon.

"Hey guys!" I say happily, Ethan threw his arm around me, drunk already, "this one right here is all of our girl. This is Paige!" My face turned red, I shoot Ethan a look who's too drunk to care. Good one Ethan. I stick out my hand to shake hers, which I then realize is way to southern of a thing to do. So I just act as though I'm reaching for James. Which worked out to my advantage, "I'm Paige!As he said, nice to meet you!" She smiled it was definitely fake, "Blair. You too." Ugh I already hated her so much. James whispered into my ear I could feel his lips touching my earlobe. This sent chills down my spine.

"Everything okay?" I nodded my head ignoring Gabe lurking behind me, and Blair giving me a death stare when James wasn't looking, "Everything is great. Want to dance with me?" He laughed, "you hate dancing?" I shook my head setting my 5th beer down, "plans change?" He nodded then swooped me up bride style. And walked me toward the area where a few people were dancing. Then the best song that could've come on in that moment did, "In Case you Didn't Know" by Brett Young played and we slowed dance and it finally felt okay. I just wanted him to myself for one moment of this horrible day.