Chapter Fifteen

TonDC - Cleansing waters

.

.

The ride to the springs was short and mostly relaxing. Lexa had offered for them to walk, or even pull a small cart for her to ride in but Clarke would have none of it. She had only once had a chance to ride one of these amazing creatures and then she couldn't fully enjoy it. There was always the fear of a threat and danger looming her way. Now, she felt relaxed and wanted to take it all in. It was incredible, despite the pains she would receive now and again from her wounds. Lexa kept them at a slow pace, their two companions not far behind them and Clarke was happy.

The sun was shining and she was riding a horse. She sat atop a beautiful black gelding with a white diamond on his forehead and two white socks on his back legs. He felt strong and powerful under her, but almost seemed to sense that he was carrying something important as he was more gentle than Clarke would have imagined.

Lexa's own horse, a solid white mare seemed anxious, tossing her head about and eagerly pulling them forward. Lexa had smiled and patted her neck, explaining to Clarke that she hadn't ridden her in a while and she was restless.

They neared a body of water that was bright blue and sparkling from the light of the sun. Clarke could tell Lexa had a specific area in mind as she steered her horse off to the South, heading towards what looked like a small cave. "It's beautiful here." She admired, looking around as Lexa only hummed in response. The wind picked up slightly and despite the sun being out, she felt goosebumps cover her arms even with the long fur she had wrapped over her. "The water is going to be cold isn't it?"

"Out here yes," Lexa began, sliding off her horse and passing the reigns over to Kiern, one of her most trusted guards. She turned to help Clarke down from her horse, but saw that Echo had beaten her to it. She called out to them, "Ste der" stay there as they took the horses and headed for a small clearing just outside the cave and hitched the horses to a waiting post and then began to setup a temporary camp.

"Out here?" Clarke asked, stepping in close to Lexa. "We're going into the cave?"

Lexa smiled, "In the hottest months the river is fine to bathe in, but you'd find it quite cold any other time. We use this cave, where shallower water flows and warms quickly from our fires."

Clarke didn't quite understand, but as they entered the cave and took a sharp right just a few feet inside, she understood. Torches had been lit along the walls, apparently in preparation of their arrival, along with what looked like large troughs of water in a steel container being warmed over a fire. She noticed a crude makeshift handle on either side and considered it.

Watching the blonde with an adoring expression Lexa felt compelled to explain, "I sent a rider ahead to prepare, as we do when we plan to use this area. The water is filled and heated, and then added to the closed off portion there." She explained, pointing to a small pool like hole that could fit several bathers at once. "When the water is cooling or more is required, you pull the lever to add the heated water."

Seeing Clarke smile and nod in understanding, Lexa laid down the two packs she had brought with her, and crouched to pull out a couple of towels, wash cloth and some soap. She then stood and reached her hand out, halting just in front of Clarke where the blonde was holding the fur around her shoulders. "May I?"

Clarke smiled, allowing Lexa to take the fur from her and watched as she carefully folded it and sat it near the edge of the pool. She then turned back and bit her lip once before catching the act and stilled, eyes catching the blue watching her. "I'm not sure if you wish for me to stay with you or if I should fetch Echo?"