Chapter 8: Hit and Run

Zoe’s week was going great, Dr Choi had discharged her from outpatient care once he was satisfied that her wound was healing perfectly. It had also been 3 days since Antonio had left the intelligence unit and Zoe was slowly starting to accept Antonio’s decision to take the new job, she knew she had been childish in her approach but she couldn't help but feel like she deserved to know. That said the two haven't spoke to each other since the centenary celebration at Molly's.

Though things quickly started to take a turn for the worst. Ruzek was still AWOL and she had been stuck with the new guy, Kenny Rixton as a partner for the hopefully not to distant future. When Rixton started she was took in by his good looks but ever since he had taken her home from Molly’s after the centenary party she had been avoiding him as much as she could.

Zoe had been tying her hair up away from her face when her phone began to ring, looking down to her cell she noticed her brother's name.

“Hey" Zoe greeted happily a smile evading her face once her brother told her the news "I’m sorry about that bro, I know you were really set on it. Just take the day, you had it off anyway right? No matter what happens I’m so proud of you, you got that right?” Zoe said hoping to reassure her brother. “Love you”

“Who was that?” Jay asked. He had been sent to go get coffee primarily by Zoe who had been itching for caffeine, she had practically demanded that someone got her coffee when she found out that Rixton broke the coffee machine before she arrived.

“Kelly” Zoe smiled sadly accepting the coffee Jay offered with a small thanks. Taking a sip from the hot beverage she continued “Anna isn’t strong enough to accept the treatment”

Jay nodded in understanding, Zoe had told him all about the Anna situation when he came for tea a few nights ago.

Jay had began to walk back to his desk when Zoe called him over again “Hey Jay, quick question? Have you heard from Antonio?”

“Yeah…” Jay admitted uncomfortably. Erin had told him about the partners not talking and he really hoped that they could resolve the problems between them because they were to good a friends to let something like this ruin that.

“Oh”

“He'll call you” Jay tried.

****

Their day had been real slow and the intelligence team had no cases to deal with so the detectives had all been stuck with the paperwork they usually pushed to a side and hope that it would disappear.

Zoe had been to fetch some coffee from her favourite coffee shop. She had just returned to the unit to notice the detectives all huddled together, her heeled shoes caught their attention as they connected with the wooden flooring.

"What's going on up here?" Zoe said, her upbeat tone in check. Thankful she had asked the barista to write their names on the take away cups she handed everyone their coffees.

“Severide" Vought's gruff voice caught the young woman's attention, lifting her head up she caught her Sargent's eyes and continued with handing out the coffees. "you heard from your brother at all?”

Zoe frowned, handing the last coffee to Jay she perched herself on the edge of her desk ignoring all the paperwork strewn across it. “Not since this morning. Why?”

"His car's been involved in a hit and run" Voight said matter of factly.

The detectives head shot up as she scanned the faces of the detectives sat beside her "is he-is he okay?"

"He left the scene of the accident. 51 attended"

Zoe was quick to protest, hints of anger and worry appearing on her face "Kelly wouldn't just abandon an accident, he's a firefighter for god sakes"