Chapter 5: Happy Birthday Zoe

Zoe had been discharged from the hospital that morning and Will had taken the day off to make sure she got settled back at home.

Since Zoe Severide had been rushed to hospital two days ago she had been swarmed with visitors, the intelligence unit had been there constantly and so had the firefighters of 51 but now she was glad to be back at the apartment and be left alone for a while.

"Couch, now" Will ordered as he tried to help his best friend into their apartment. Walking up the stairs had been too much of a task for Zoe and typically the lift was out of order that day, she was out of breath before they had even reached the first floor.

"Seriously?" Zoe raised an eyebrow trying to maneuver her way to the coach unhooking her arm from Will's so he could grab a blanket to keep his friend comfortable.

Jamie had accompanied his Uncle Will to get his mom from the hospital after not seeing her for a week, he had moved from house to house whilst Zoe was undercover. When Kelly had told Jamie about Zoe he hadn't been upset neither did he cry he just asked why would someone be so mean, that-that was when Kelly knew that this kid was going somewhere.

"Momma, uncle Will is a doctor ya know, maybe you should listen" Jamie pointed out.

"Hey, boy genius when did you get so smart" Zoe chuckled. She tried lowering herself to the couch but cried in pain making Will move to her side at an instant and helped her, once she was settled he kindly moved the cushions and covered her in a blanket.

"James Kelly, watch your mom." Will warned as he watched the little boy run towards Zoe.

"Sorry Uncle Will" Jamie came to a sudden stop and lowered his sadly.

"It's okay buddy, Uncle Will is just worried about his infamous stitching." Zoe chuckled and waved her son over "Come on, come lie with momma" Jamie carefully jumped on the couch and nestled into his momma's side.

"I'll go get your painkillers" Will smiled and headed towards the kitchen where he texted his brother to let him know that he had brought Zoe home and also texted Kelly to say that Zoe'd call him later.

When Will returned only a few moments later that's how he found the mother and son curled up on the couch fast a sleep. Smiling at the sight he set the water down on the coffee table and grabbed an extra blanket and placed it over the two.

****

Zoe woke up to the continuous knock at the front door. The sound rang through the new apartment since not all furniture had been bought. She was still sore and had only arrived home from the hospital last night under strict instructions from Will who was called into work during the night she was to rest, he had left Zoe a note beside her bed a long with her painkillers and a glass of water 'I've been called in. Take 2 of these and get some rest.....please. Oh and Happy Birthday Zo' x x x.'

She slowly made her way towards the door and opened it revealing a very happy Kelly Severide.

"Happy Birthday kiddo" Kelly engulfed his sister in a bear hug but quickly pulled away when he heard her wince sharply.

Zoe hadn't returned the hug because she was still stiff so she instead scolded her big brother with a hiss "'it's 5am Kelly! Jamie's asleep''

''He doesn't look very asleep" he said pointing towards the sofa where Jamie sat watching TV. "I wanted to see how you are, I mean you got shot and you're another year older'' Kelly smirked.

"AWAKE!" she shouted "what's got you in this awfully cheery mood?" ever since moving out Kelly did what ever he could to spend some time with his sister and nephew.