Chapter 5. An Argument

Peter had trouble sleeping the night that he gave or, in his terms, "loaned," the medallion to Prudence.  He heard her tossing and turning in the early hours of the night but, around midnight, all was silent.  After a while, he couldn't resist seeing what was going on and so he took out his small flashlight and opened Prudence's door.  He whispered her name but there was no answer.  So, she must be asleep.  Travelling in dreams, flying over Greenwold like he had?  How could he tell?  He approached the bed and shone the light on her face.  Prudence's eyes were moving rapidly under lids that were partly open and she grimaced.  He said her name once more, being careful not to speak so loud as to wake up his father.  Again, no response, no reaction to his presence.  Peter moved a chair next to the bed and sat down in it.  He kept up a vigil for more than an hour before falling asleep.  He woke up with a crick in his neck and feeling very cold.  Still Prudence seemed anxious.  There seemed to be no recourse but for him to try and wake her.  He shook her gently, whispered her name.  But, he knew deep down that, once travelling in Greenwold, waking would only happen when the wearer of the medallion was able to choose to make the return journey.  Peter rolled down the sheet and saw that Prudence was not wearing the medallion.  And he lifted the side of her sheet and comforter to see if the sheath was anywhere in sight.  It was not.  Prudence had the medallion with her in Greenwold.  

Peter heard a scuffling at his feet.  It was Parsnips who, when Peter picked him up, looked with great anguish at Prudence and then at Peter.  "So now I've done it.  It's the most terrible thing I have ever done," Peter whispered hoarsely, the tears coming into his eyes.  He and the mouse continued their vigil until Peter once again fell asleep. 

Peter woke with someone gently shaking his shoulder.  He was slumped over on the chair.  His neck hurt.  When he turned, he found it was his father, who put his finger to his lips, "Sshhh" and pointed to Prudence.  She was still asleep but now she had a smile on her face.  Parsnips was also sound asleep on Prudence's pillow.  Peter had a feeling that the little mouse had had a longer vigil that he had and that he only went to sleep when Prudence's expression changed. 

At a little table in the cottage Peter and his father ate toast and drank coffee. "It's a good sign that Prue is getting better.  And you stayed up with her until she fell asleep?" asked Jim.  

"She was pretty restless before that," answered Peter, trying to avoid giving a direct response to the question.

Jim's thoughts were on the trip planned for that day to meet with his doctor.  When he saw the smile on Prudence's face his first thought was to phone and cancel.  But, Peter's words decided the matter for him.  "I suppose the poor thing is exhausted and in her sleep is dreaming about better days.  Who knows how she will be when she wakes up.  Let her keep sleeping Peter and continue to keep an eye on her so you can let me know when I get back," Jim was pretty sure he could count on Peter.  

It was an hour after Jim, still having misgivings, drove off that Prudence woke up.  She opened her eyes, looked around and was surprised to find Peter sitting in a chair in her room.  "What are you doing here?"

"Keeping watch over you, as Dad asked me to do."

"Well, I am just fine, thank you all the same," she said while stretching.  

"And my medallion, is it safe?"

"The medallion?  Oh yes, I had better take it off and put it in the sheath.  I guess you never know what critters cling onto you when you come back from that place, and who might want to get their hands on the medallion."  When Prudence said the word "critters" Parsnips covered his ears and shook his head. 

Prudence looked under the covers then threw them back.  She was still dressed in her best outfit that she had put on in the early evening.  "Phew, I'm hot," she said.  "Let me change into jeans and a t-shirt and then, after saying hello to Dad, we can go down by the lake and I will tell you about my travels."

Peter explained that their father had to go into the city on business for the day.  He then offered to make Prudence lunch while she changed.  "No thanks.  Stuffed to the gills," Prudence said.  Peter waited impatiently.  He wondered why Prudence had used the words "the medallion."  It was his, after all.  

   Prudence recounted in detail her experience in Ixoria and the encounter with the king and Lady Eugenia. 

"How did you escape?" Peter asked, frightened for her.

"By putting on the medallion and wishing myself away from there."

"And then you came directly back here?"

"Well not exactly, I went to this other place . . ."

"What place, Prue?"

"Away from there.  Far from the city.  Oh, Peter I would like to tell you . . ."

"Well do it then!"

". . . but I can't.  I'm sworn to secrecy."

"I can't believe this!" exclaimed Peter.  "I told you and Jon all about my adventures and I lend you the medallion once and you refuse to tell me what happened?"

"Sorry Peter.  Maybe one day soon I can tell you but not now."

"Why were you smiling this morning?  Something happened that pleased you after you got away from the castle. Isn't that true?"

"Yes but you won't worm anything more out of me," said Prudence, losing her patience.  

"Well from what you told me you were in great danger earlier.  You might have been stuck in Ixoria or worse, and the medallion might easily have gone over to the king,"

"It seems to me, little brother, that you had close calls too."

"Well you're not me.  I should have realized that it is too dangerous to lend the medallion to someone else, let alone my sister who has little experience of Greenwold. So, I'll take it back now."

"I can't do that Peter."

"What! It's mine.  I was given it freely and risked my life to get all the parts of it together."

"A small correction is needed," said Prudence between her teeth.  "The medallion belongs to the people of Braeland.  Also, you gave it to me freely."

"But it was just a loan." Peter thought about taking the sheath containing the medallion away from her.  He was stronger, but this would be crazy!  His own sister, and he wouldn't be able to touch it let alone wear it now, not without Prudence's cooperation.  

"You see Peter, the time may come when you will wear the medallion again.  For now, I am selected to carry out a task" said Prudence, calming down, understanding Peter's reason for anger.  

Prudence would have tried harder to soothe Peter but he turned away and was striding back in the direction of the cottage.  When Peter got back to his room, he slammed the door shut and took out a piece of paper.  He began writing: "Dear Grandfather Martin . . ." and then he paused and crumpled the paper.  It was the last year of his grandfather's professorship before he retired, and it would be wrong to call upon him now.  Besides, now, at 16, and experienced in the ways of the medallion and Greenwold, Peter felt he was old enough to deal with any situation.