Chapter 23. The Travelers

"We have worked and waited for more than a month and I would like to have my turn wearing the medallion and go to Greenwold to look for Grandfather," Peter said at the start of the "family" meeting.  

"Well, that's putting your cards on the table Peter.  I think you should be included in the group that goes because of your experience last year but as to wearing the medallion I am less sure.  What do others think?" said Jim.  

They all looked at Prudence but she was silent.  Then Rula said, "The medallion magnifies the power of the person who wears it.  I do not know how Priscilla has gained so much strength but we must remember it may be best for a woman to be pitted against her, as she is more likely to understand her ways."

"Are you saying, Rula, that you would like to wear the medallion?" asked Jim.

"No.  I never had such an idea when I gave over the Jewel to Peter.  But now I think it best that Prudence continue wearing it."

Prudence wiped away a tear and then she said, "Thank you Rula.  What I have to say to all of you, and especially to Peter, is that the medallion has given me a purpose that I did not have a few months ago.  I would like to finish this quest and, yes, find Grandfather but also help Braeland in whatever way I can."

Peter nodded and came over to give Prudence a hug.  So that part was settled.  The selection of those who would go and those who would stay was simpler, as it was agreed by all that a party of four would be the maximum size.  Jim had taken time off work and so he would come as a senior member of the group now that his training fitted him for it.  Although she was now trying hard, Anne had not finished her training and so she would not be coming.  Charlotte wanted to come.  Jim suggested that Mary, Rula and Anne stay back to look after the house.  Everyone understood that, after the last episode, Anne needed some supervision as well.  

The most difficult part of their plan was where, in Greenwold to go.  Prudence was not confident that she could take the group to Braeland even though she had been there because her journey had been under Priscilla's power and it had been so brief and dream-like.  Ixoria would be dangerous and, although they suspected there was an underground of resistance to the Troken King in that city, the difficulty would be in finding such an agent.  Peter wanted to lead them to the route in the mountain where he had taken leave of Mortimer but that too might well be occupied by unfriendly soldiers and no one liked the prospect of encountering wolves.  In the end they agreed on going, at least initially, to Rula's hut in the hope that Bob, Farmer Goodwine's son, or some other messenger might turn up while they would be there. 

The next morning it was an excited ring of travelers who kissed goodbye and waved to the three others who were staying behind.  Charlotte was anxious to see how things were in her home world.  Prudence was proud of being the leader of the group.  Jim's face shone like that of a little boy, so happy was he to be going on an adventure and having to be persuaded at the very last moment that perhaps it was not a good idea to take his fishing gear with him.  Peter was happiest of all because he was returning to the land of last year's successful quest.  Even though Mortimer was presumed dead, there were other friends like Farmer Goodwine and his son Charlie who he was anxious to see.   

Round and round they spun and the smiles died on their faces as it looked as if they would not be able to go but, at last, they collapsed into sleep.  They came down on the river's side on a rainy, cool day in Greenwold.  Jim immediately remarked on his clothes, saying he always wondered what it would be like being a farmer.  Charlotte knew this area and led them to Rula's hut.  Or, rather, to their great shock, it was a burnt-out shell that greeted them.  Even the little woodshed was destroyed. 

"Oh, it was a small house but Rula has lost all her books, her sewing machine and sail cloths.  She will be devastated," said Prudence. 

They stood shivering in the cold for a time trying to decide what to do.  There seemed to be no point in staying where they were as there was no means for building a shelter. Charlotte suggested they should go to her former home and spend the night.  They could build a fire there.  They all agreed and she guided them through unfrequented streets to Riverman George's shack. The door was bashed in and the firewood had been removed but, otherwise, most things were as Charlotte had left it.  It was as dank and cold in the shack as it was outside. 

"I have a friend who lives not far from here from whom I can borrow some wood," Charlotte said.  Prudence was reluctance to let Charlotte go by herself but she argued that it might raise suspicions in the village if a stranger came. They expected Charlotte would be away for some time but she came back, breathless, almost immediately and without wood.

"Soldiers are searching the houses and they're on the way here!" she said.

"Don't panic anyone.  Let's all form a circle," Jim said.

"There's not enough time for that, especially when everyone's jumpy.  Let's run.  Is there a back-door Charlotte?" Prudence said

"No, but help me lift up this," Charlotte said, using a boathook to wedge up a platform of wood that fitted neatly into the rough boards of the floor. Peter and Jim helped her.  There was a hole in the ground and a ladder with greasy steps.  Charlotte descended first and she waved the others to follow.  Jim came last and, with great effort, he slid the door back into its place in the floor.  The stink was terrible in this completely dark little cellar, like rotten fish, cat urine, dead rat and moldy cabbage leaves.  There was hardly room for the four of them to turn around.  

"What is this place?" whispered Peter.

"It is where father used to hide some of the things he took off the river," Charlotte answered.  Her mouth was right next to his ear.  He vowed to himself to protect Charlotte if they should be discovered.         

    Soon there were sounds.  Heavy boots on the wood floors above them.  The creak of the closet door being opened.  Someone saying, "Where are they?  Gone again, like the last time we came."

"Maybe they've gone up north like many of the others, led away by one of those scouts they send down here.  I wish we could catch one of them and then we would set a fire under him!  He'd soon show us the way they go north."

"Don't you worry about that for much longer.  I hear the king is working out some sweet deal."

"Oh yeah, tell me about it."

"I don't know more than that.  But it comes from a good source.  You can count on it?"

"Let's burn this place.  It's warming to do it, on a cold night like this."

"Nah we got to move on.  Orders."

"Always orders!"

The group hiding in the cellar heard the boots drag across the floor once more and then there was silence.  After ten or more minutes Jim climbed up the ladder and ever so gently pushed up on the trap door.  He was greeted by silence and a musty flow of air that was ever so better than what they had all been breathing underground.  Using all his strength he lifted the heavy door so he could slide it wide enough to scramble up.  He helped the others come up as well.  They decided it was too dangerous for Charlotte to visit any of the other houses.  The rain was pouring down now but they counted themselves lucky to have a roof over their heads, even though it was a leaky one.  Charlotte went about collecting what clothing the family had left behind, so they could all have extra layers.  Peter and Jim were embarrassed by the greasy, putrid long underwear and outer clothes of the Riverman that she brought to them and insisted they wear.  

"Well, at least we have food," commented Peter, who had had the foresight to bring a pack with him, spilling out cans of beans and packages of macaroni.  

"Now how do we open or cook these?" Charlotte asked him.  

"I don't know . . . er . . . but I did bring some cheese and crackers also," he answered.  The latter were much welcomed by his fellow adventurers.  

"If I had a cup of tea, I would be happy.  We should have brought Rula.  She is always good for making cup after cup," said Jim.  Peter and Prudence laughed but Charlotte, who had the best hearing of the group, said, "Ssshhh.  There's someone.  Quick, go back to . . ."

But, just then, the broken door which they had put back in place to keep out some of the cold air was pushed over and landed with a bang, barely missing Peter.  The intruder had long dark hair and looked rough and dangerous.  Jim grabbed a grappling iron and began to advance.  Still, the man stood still until Peter, who had gotten over his shock, shouted, "Mortimer" and ran to embrace the intruder.