Chapter 10. Charlotte

After a dinner they all made together, Mr. Jamieson yawned and said, "We have all had a stupendous day."  They laughed.  "As you know, I'm off tomorrow early for San Francisco and am relieved that I needn't worry about how you two will be getting along here.  So, I'm off to bed.  I will see you on Friday."  He gave a hug to his children, picked up a magazine and headed off to the master bedroom on the main floor that he had shared with his wife.  Peter and Prudence watched him go.  He must be so lonely at night, they thought, and so very sad when the travelling the power company obliged him to do now that they had given him a promotion.  Peter suggested that, after they had done the dishes, they should go upstairs and have a talk.  

"I understand why you kept the secret until Rula said you could tell me.  I would have insisted even more than I did on getting the medallion back and, if I did, Priscilla would not have put up with a male coming to the meeting.  Oh, but I wish I could talk to Mortimer about the Women's League.  You say he has been the messenger?"

"Peter there are so many things to do.  Find Mortimer.  Meet with the Women's League.  Find Charlotte."

"I was thinking about Charlotte at the top of our list.  You know I began a letter to Grandfather Martin . . ."

"He would catch the next plane.  But he's finishing his last year of being a regular professor and we might ruin his chance of becoming a Professor Emeritus . . . besides, I have you to guide me," said Prudence.

"Prue, why do you want to go back? It's dangerous.  You might get killed or stuck there."

"But it's exciting Peter.  You felt that same force drawing you to Greenwold.  It's the only thing that has given me a purpose since . . ."

Peter nodded.  They both put their heads down for a while and thought of their mother.  

"I have an idea.  Let's both go find Rula and Charlotte," said Peter at last. "You can keep wearing the medallion."

"How do we do that?"

"I don't know for sure but there must be a way.  Parsnips went with you and came back."

"True, but I don't know how he came along other than being near me when I fell asleep.  We came back turning in a circle but does that work both ways?" said Prudence

"It must.  When I had the medallion I never tried using it to take the jibblies or the hunters back to Greenwold."

"Well, they would not have been willing.  Even if it works Peter, I am worried.  What happens if we get separated?  I would be the only one to have a chance of getting back."

"We can stick close together and, with me there, you will have a sure way of coming back here, by doing the circle dance. Can we please try it?"

Prudence nodded and took the medallion out of the sheath and hung it around her neck.  They moved all the furniture to the wall of Peter's room so they would have the space to turn in a circle.  They went downstairs and listened at the door of the master bedroom to hear if they had woken their father but, no, they could hear his snoring.  They went back to Peter's room, locked the door and held hands.  As they circled, Prudence chanted "Rula," "Charlotte," and Peter chanted "Charlotte," "Mortimer."  They went on and on, tried closing their eyes, opened them and resumed the circle.  Prudence felt so dizzy she could hardly stand but still they went on.  Parsnips watched them from on top of Peter's dresser.  He knew it wouldn't work.  This kind of circle dance was a one-way ticket.  At last, Prudence exclaimed, "Stop, or I will throw up!"

They sat on the edge of Peter's bed, taking great gulps of air.  Peter thought about how much he wanted the medallion back.  Prudence thought about how she wanted to keep the medallion and of how brave an act it was for Peter to give it to her in the first place.  "I think we can take turns when the time is right.  Now is the time for Charlotte and Rula and soon it will be the time for Priscilla.  I must keep the medallion.  But you can be my advisor, co-conspirator if you like, and you may find adventure comes here again."