Chapter 32. The Girl from Mexico

Late that night, Prudence and Peter woke up in the Jamieson living room.  Jim was sitting up and waiting for their return and he was nervous because they were later than planned.  He embraced them.

"Let's talk quietly because Mary and Anne have gone to bed.  They worked a long day and I was most impressed with how quickly both learned to assemble electrical parts.  They were doing so well that I could go out in the afternoon to buy more.  The suppliers must think I am nuts.  But, enough of that.  How was your day and where are the others?"

Peter and Prudence filled in Jim about what had happened in Braeland and how they had left Rula and Charlotte to establish the new womens' league.  When Peter told him how Parsnips was left trying to get through to the slower but much more dangerous Siegfried, Jim laughed.  Peter said that Martin saw Parsnip's idea of a league of animals as quite a serious proposition and that he promised Peter to keep an eye on Siegfried to make sure his appetite did not get the better of his loyalty.  

"Well, that is good work all around for the team today and I can see you two are exhausted.  Let's take stock of where we are in the morning," said Jim.  But, after his children went to bed, Jim stayed up for a few hours with the word "doom" running through his head.  Maybe he should revisit his decision not to import guns to Greenwold.  That would bring a decisive advantage to "our side."  However, it went against everything for which he stood.  He was not a pacifist but once guns were brought to Greenwold they could be replicated and they would be there to stay.  He did not want that on his conscience or on that of his children.  Yet, if the Troken King and Priscilla were to triumph over Braeland, what then?

The next morning, the assembly and packing team, joined by Peter and Prudence, worked down in the basement which began to look like a factory.  They had agreed to begin making quick journeys to Middle Town the next morning.  These deliveries had to be secret and so Prudence would aim at landing right in Martin's office at the Archives.  The cattle prods needed little adaptation to turn them into what looked like magic wands.  The idea for the warriors, especially those who were women, was to have an electrified shield in one hand and the prod in the other.  If the enemy's sword came into contact with the shield of the opponent it would send a strong jolt of electricity into that person. Reconnaissance pieces took longer to assemble, such as the model airplanes carrying video cameras and ground receivers.  Some of the equipment merely required unpacking, such as the binoculars with night vision.  

They were well into this work when the doorbell rang.  Jim whispered that he would answer and everyone should stay down the basement.  The doorbell rang a second time before Jim got there.  Outside there were three men with suits on.  They flashed their badges.  Homeland Security.  

"Mr. Jamieson I presume? May we come in to talk to you?  There is a report we want to check out," said one of them.

"I would prefer if you don't come in.  You see my daughter is home sick with the flu.  She's sleeping now and there are germs all over . . . "

"We will take the risk."

"No, it's not that.  You see my wife passed away recently and I have taken the day off and my daughter's sleeping on the couch and it would wake her up," said Jim, the ultra-concerned father. He knew they would have information on his wife's death and on his daughter.  

"Very well.  It's not what we would prefer because of the sensitivity of the file.  If anyone were to hear . . ."

"I would be willing to take that chance.  What on earth could it be?" said Jim, appearing astounded.

"Hmmm . . . someone reported that you an illegal alien staying at your house but the report of the investigating officers from our department is confusing."

"What do you mean by "alien," someone from another planet?"

"Well, that's just it sir.  The original citizen report meant it that way but we're thinking maybe Mexico.  Have you been harboring a refugee here who entered the country illegally?" 

It was only now that Jim threw mindspeak into what he said.  "You do realize the absurdity of your search.  Some boy reports that my daughter is from outer space and you jump to the conclusion that she is an illegal immigrant from Mexico!"

"Sir, Mexico was only an example."

"It doesn't make any difference.  There is no refugee here from Mexico or Africa or any other country on earth.  Clearly, this is all a prank and you will put that in your report."

The agent paused.  It looked like both he and his two colleagues had migraine headaches coming on.  They looked at one another.

"That will be all for now sir," said the agent who had talked for the others. Tthey looked glued to the doorstep until Jim closed the door on them.