Chapter 40. The Animals

Mortimer remembered the wolves well.  They were intelligent and deviant in their attack.  They were absolutely loyal to the king who had trained them perfectly.  They snarled as they hit the first electrical barrier but the force of them broke the wire and they kept advancing, angered into a frenzy.  The hunting bows knocked some of them down but it was difficult to hit a target moving so quickly and with such uncanniness.  The wolves bowled over the outmost guards and some stopped to ravage them but generally they moved onward as some great torpedo.  When the wolves moved within range of the crossbows men galloping on horseback were just on their heels.  These men were the more dangerous threat.   

Just as with the wolves, the bows knocked down some of the assailants.  Some of the Braeland soldiers were excellent archers.  But others had just recently been introduced to the new weapons and, especially under such a rapidly-advancing force, were vulnerable. The horses jumped a low electrical barrier and a valiant Troken struck down a high barrier with his sword and the horde moved on.

"We will have to fall back," shouted Mortimer to his captains.  

"But then it will be a rout and we will lose many soldiers and possibly our own town as well," said Martin, his advisor.

"Perhaps we can reassemble on better terrain," said Martin, and he gave the order for retreat.  A great cheer came up from the Troken ranks and loud howls came from the wolves.  Prudence and Jim saw this from their vantage point well back from the front lines. 

"Dad, is there anything we can do?" asked Prudence.

"I wish we could call in the marines but, no, my dear, all we can do is keep out of range and hope for a miracle."

"Oh, oh, something coming in from reconnaissance.  It's no doubt another surprise the king wants to throw at us."  Jim looked at the video shots. Big brown creatures advancing through the trees towards the field.  What could they be?  

And on the field itself, suddenly, the strangest thing happened.  Most horses came to a rapid stop, bucked and threw their riders.  They reared up and riders were crushed or severely damaged by the hooves.  

Mortimer shouted, "Turn and stand.  Do not retreat!"  

Out of the woods on both sides of the field, bears, badgers and foxes came running at great speed and they fell upon the wolves and the remaining horsemen who had advanced far into the Braeland lines.  There also came great swarms of eagles, ravens and hawks who swooped down and scratched at the faces of the Trokens.  Never was such growling and yelping and crying out heard before.  The bears picked up and threw the wolves as if they were rag dolls.  

Out of the woods came a pack of mice and a bird.  They were led by a mouse who wore a general's hat and who seemed much respected by the others.  Parsnips.  His major was Siegfried who was friendly with mice now.  

Far in the rear of the Troken ranks, Mortimer saw a decorated horseman shake his fist in the air and then turn around.  The best marksmen among the Braeland troop notched an arrow in his bow and pulled the string back.  "Don't, the king has been punished enough and would only be replaced by someone more evil," Mortimer said.  And then he said to his troops, which seemed to include the animals now that the last living wolf had slinked away, tail between legs, "Let's chase them right out of Braeland! Forward guards.  Hello out there, victorious General Parsnips! Marshall your troops as well!"

"It is no easy job but I will do my best with this rowdy bunch," squeaked Parsnips.

Jim turned to Prudence and said, "I don't think they will need us at present.  We have left Peter and Charlotte alone for a very long time.  What say we make a visit?"

  When they landed in the living room Charlotte and Peter were sitting rigidly on the couch and were very red-faced.  

"Ah ha! Caught you.  Dad, they've been kissing," teased Prudence.

"Don't be so juvenile Prue," said Peter.

"What I want to know is what you are kissing about?" said Jim.

There was a long exchange of stories, from both sides.  At one point Jim asked Peter what he had done with Priscilla's chain.

"I took a pair of insulated gloves and a stick and moved it to a hole I dug in the garden.  If the people of Braeland ever want it, I will dig it up again.  The guns are buried out there too."

By now the three captains who had been with Priscilla were invited down to the living room.  They were much reformed from what they had once looked like by being dressed in Prudence's clothing.  For the plan was not to delay but to return to Braeland after one last cup of tea.