Chapter 30. Planning

As it turned out, Homeland Security did not return immediately to the Jamieson household but Anne's indiscretion was remembered as a lesson.  It caused much levity among the "English" population such as toasts to the Queen before every meal. 

The next morning after their trip to the state capital, Jim went out the door with the heavy pack given him by Martin.  He said he would probably be away all day.   Peter and Prudence had already returned to school, bearing notes that their "extended illness" was now over.  The four remaining women made an excursion to a nearby branch of the public library where they studied books about the geography and climate of earth.  Anne was allowed a break to go and look at fashion magazines but all the others were impressed by her new dedication to learning.

Later, after Prudence and Peter had returned from school, Mary made a roast beef and Yorkshire dinner.  The recipe came from the internet.  The house was filling with delicious odors when Jim returned, his arms laden with packages and rolls of wire.  "The car is filled with these.  Peter, would you help me bring the rest inside?  We'll put them in the basement for now," he said, like a boy who had just won the lottery for toys.  Parsnips peeped out of Peter's pocket and looked mightily surprised.  The two of them made three trips before the car was emptied.  "I will have to keep doing this every day for a week or so," Jim said.

Everyone had questions for Jim but he fended them off in favor of tucking into the meal prepared for them by Mary.  He was peppered with more questions as the meal proceeded but he just smiled, and asked for the mustard and horseradish and complemented the chef.  Finally, he said, "Let's declare the living room our very own Consensus Hall and meet there after dinner.  And . . . of course after the dishes are done."

There was a pause.  "I'll wash," said Charlotte.

"I'll dry," said Peter before anyone else could speak.  

After dinner chairs from the kitchen were taken into the living room and all seven of them (not counting Parsnips) assembled into a circle.  Jim looked at each of them and smiled, then began speaking.

"I will begin with a combination of what we know, what we can suppose and what we do not know.  First, we know that a civil war has broken out in Braeland.  Priscilla and her Womens' League in South Town pretend to be the spearhead of the rebel forces. But, from what Lara told Martin and Mortimer, not all the people in South Town are behind Priscilla but they are muzzled.  Second, we can be quite sure in assuming Priscilla has made a pact with the Troken King and that his soldiers are allowed through the southern pass that leads to Braeland.  Mortimer told me it is a treacherous path and we do not know if horses as well as men can pass that way.  Nor do we know what deal Priscilla has struck with the king but we can be certain that he is likely to be as treacherous as she is. So, what began as a rebel outbreak could one day become an invasion.  As things stand, the Middle Town people are in great danger.  They have some guards but little experience in fighting because peace has reigned there for so long."

"Could not the guards from North Town come over to join up with Middle Town?" Peter asked.

"That would be risky as it would leave the northern pass exposed.  It may be the very thing that the King is hoping will happen."

"You have a plan for helping Middle Braeland then?" asked Rula.

"There are some things we could do but that I oppose.  We could, if we could acquire them, take some of the modern weapons of this world with us – by that I mean guns and bombs, and we could arm the Middle Braeland soldiers.  It would be the simplest solution but the most immoral one.  Does anyone here disagree?" 

There was a minute of silence in the room.

"Great!  This really is a consensus hall," Jim continued. "What Martin gave me and that you saw me carrying out of here this morning was a sack of gold.  It seems that gold is worth a lot less in Greenwold than it is here.  My bank manager was extremely suspicious and said it was the first time anyone brought in so much bullion but, in the end, with a little mindspeak, my account grew very large.  Thus, we have no lack of money to help our friends.  

"I was out today buying electrical gadgets that we can train the guards to use to communicate with one another and we can set up a system to communicate with North Town as well.  There are some good, portable hydro generators that can be used to recharge batteries.  I bought some electric cattle prods that can run off a battery pack.  We might want to adapt them to look spookier, like the wands of wizards or witches.  And I bought some radio-controlled toy airplanes that can carry small video-cameras on them. Our scruples prevent us from bringing modern warfare to Braeland, but I feel different about importing the electrical age.  What do you think?" 

"Dad, you're a genius," said Peter.

Jim beamed.  "I take it that no one has a strong objection.  But it's still a long shot that it will work.  A lot of preparation for the defense needs to be done by Braelanders themselves.  They need to increase their soldiers.  Mortimer and Martin can help out with that."

"What can we do?" asked Prudence.

"I think we need to divide up our work because there is much of it to be done.  We need one group to assemble our equipment here before transporting it to Braeland.  I will take the lead on that but I will need at least two assistants to help with the work. We also need at least one person on the ground in Braeland who will teach the guards how to use the equipment, and Peter I think that should be you as you have shown your skill at electronics ever since you were a little boy.  Prue, you are the bridge to and from Greenwold and so you will need to lead groups going back and forth with equipment as it gets prepared here."

"Dad, I like what you are saying but I have another idea.  You know how in council Grandfather Martin argued that I should have the medallion because it would be woman against woman, me against Priscilla.  I could start up a womens' league in Middle Town and maybe it would spread to North Town, and they might be a big help in the fight against the South.  At least it would boost morale," Prudence said.

"That is an excellent idea Prue but I see only one problem with it.  You will be so busy in being the bridge that you will have very little time for it," responded Jim.

"But I could go and stay in Braeland to help organize the female forces.  I don't know much about fighting but I do a good job with persuasion," said Rula.

"And I should like to come along to and help, and maybe that woman you mentioned, Mortimer's sister Lara, could lead the training," Charlotte added, to Peter's delight with the thought that he and Charlotte should be together in Braeland.  Parsnips was wiggling wildly in his pocket but, for the moment, Peter paid no attention to his pet. 

"All right.  I am on board with that.  Mary and Anne, will you be my assistants on assembling the electronics?"

Both nodded.

Then Jim said, after a pause, "Well it looks like we have a plan.  Peter and Prudence, you will need time off school.  I will write a note.  So, we'll start tomorrow morning unless anyone has objections."

Parsnips squeaked loudly.  Peter took him out of his pocket and set him on the palm of his hand.  The mouse stood on his hind legs, and gave little squeaks and gestures.  After a time, Peter said, "He wants to come along."

Rula said, "The animals will take part in the plan as well."