Chapter 28. At the Hall of Healing

"Dad, are we being attacked?" Peter asked.  He lay in a clean bed at the Hall of Healing and around him were Jim, Martin, Prudence and Charlotte.  His shoulder was bound in a large bandage.  Jim had observed the surgery to remove the arrow and he was impressed with the way the surgeon washed his hands, purified his knife in flame and made a quick and small incision to remove the arrow tip.  He said that Peter was fortunate that the tip was not poisoned.  Peter had been given herbs that made him drowsy before this operation began and he was now fully alert.  

"Mortimer says that it was a small group. Most of them have escaped and the rest killed in battle, except for one who has been brought to Middle Town for questioning," Jim answered.  

"Were there losses on our side?" Peter asked.

"You are full of questions my son.  Yes, there were losses on both sides.  We know little more than that.  Now the doctor is back to tell us we must let you rest."  The doctor had returned and was gesturing that they should leave.

"But I cannot sleep until I know if Mortimer and Farmer Goodwine are uninjured.  O, Dad, I am so sorry that I caused all this.  I should have listened to Mortimer and it is only because of Charlotte and Farmer Goodwine that I was saved."

Martin spoke then.  "Peter my lad, you have indeed had a narrow escape.  But, when there is misfortune there is often fortune.  By alerting the city to the presence of the raiding party before night came, you and Charlotte have no doubt saved many lives.  As for Mortimer and Goodwine, they are fine and will visit you later."

Peter looked at Charlotte, as did the rest.  She was blushing scarlet.  The doctor again said they must let the boy rest for at least a few hours.   Outside the Hall, Jim said he wanted to talk with Martin privately.  Prudence and Charlotte were happy to walk together among the gardens in the inner city. 

When they had walked to the river and were alone, Jim said, "Martin, I don't know what to do and I must say I am tempted to be angry with you.  It was your speech at Consensus Hall that has made my eighteen-year old daughter the nominal head of an army about to engage in a civil war in some other world that we cannot explain!  My son would have been killed yesterday afternoon had not he been quite miraculously rescued.  And here you are, quite the example!  Assistant Archivist of Greenwold as your retirement job, ready to abandon our modern world for a primitive place like Earth was 600 years or more ago!"

"How do you feel about being here, Jim?" Martin asked.

"How do I . . ?  Well, that's the thing.  On the one hand, I have never been so enthralled with any place I ever visited.  If it was just myself I wouldn't miss being here for the world.  Hah, that's a slip of tongue – 'for the world.' On the other hand, I feel irresponsible in letting my children go right into the line of fire," Jim said.  

"How do you . . ." Martin started to say.

Jim interrupted. "I know what you are going to ask next.  How do I think Prudence and Peter feel?  That's obvious.  They would hardly listen to me if I told them the door to this place will be shut.  And, yes, I have responsibilities now for people from Greenwold.  Not to mention my work with Power Corporation."

"Too soon to retire Old Boy," said Martin, smiling.

"You're not kidding.  But, I can still take more leave without pay.  We don't need to worry about money for a while . . . look, I'm just venting here.  What should I do?"

"Do you want to help Braeland sort out its affairs?"

"Yes, if that will protect my children as well.  What can I do though?  I suppose I could shoot a bow as well as the next man.  I took lessons in university."