Chapter Thirteen

I hop up on the counter beside my sister, trading her for the plate in her hand with a mug full of coffee.
She takes a sip, then spits it out and laughs.
"I forgot that you take it black", Kylie chuckles, reaching over to the coffee machine to grab a packet of sugar. "Looks like that hasn't changed."
I nod and chew my waffle quietly.
"Can I ask you something?", she asks me, crossing one leg over the other. "Sister to sister?"
"Yes."
"What exactly did they do to you?"
"Lied", I say. "I got a lot of lies."
"Not what I meant", my sister replies, watching me eat. "I want to know exactly what they did to you."
I close my eyes for a minute then open them with a small sigh.
"The first thing I remember is waking up in bed with Jake watching over me. He said I was his fiancé, and that I had been in a car crash and went into a coma", I begin quietly. "He cared for me, and eventually I believed his story."
"Did he fuck you?"
"Once. And that was after I found out the truth."
"So he raped you", Kylie states. "What else?"
"I'm not sure what you want to know", I say. "I was kidnapped, zapped with electricity, and spent two years living a lie, thinking I was loved when I wasn't. All I have been in this is a tool. There's nothing else to it."
"One more question."
"Okay."
"Why did you ask me to keep you away from knives", she asks, looking at me curiously.
Wordlessly, I pull up my sleeve, showing her the bandages covering my skin. "I don't want to talk about this anymore, if that's okay."
Kylie nods and falls silent, taking another sip of coffee before patting my hand.
I put my plate off to the side, my appetite lost as I carefully slide down onto my good leg.
"Thanks for making breakfast", I say quietly. "It was nice."
She hops down and replies, "You barely ate anything. And I do remember Dad telling me that you barely ate anything last night, and you didn't have anything for two days. Especially now, you need to keep your strength up."
"I'm not really hungry right now", I murmur. "Can we just forget about this? I don't want to talk about it."
"You're going to have to talk about it at the trial", my sister points out. "They're talking about it on every news channel."
I raise my eyebrow in confusion.
She sighs. "You don't know what a Tv is, do you."
I shake my head no, my face turning red in embarrassment, lifting up my shoulders and then letting them drop.
"Come on", Kylie says. "There's one in the living room. I'll show you."
I nod and let her put her arm around my waist, helping me stay upright as I start limping, crying out in pain with every single move.
"I-I need to stop", I gasp out as soon as we reach the dining room table. "I need to sit for a minute."
My sister nods and slowly lets me sink into a chair, her brown eyes worried from behind her wire-framed glasses.
I ignore her look of pity, holding my head in my hands as pain continues to engulf me. After a moment, I can't take it anymore; I have to cry.
"Theresa?"
I say nothing as I continue to quietly sob, pouring out all of the hurt into my tears.
"You fucking cheating bastard!", I scream at a man with black hair and gray eyes. "How could you do this to me!"
Tears slip down my reddened cheeks as I glare at the girl standing beside him.
"You're a fucking slut", I snap at her. "I hope both of you are happy now."
I turn to go, but the man grabs my arms, whirling me back around.
"It isn't what it looks like, Sugarpie", he urges. "You know me, Theresa. I would never betray you. I love you!"
"Let go of me, Kevin", I hiss through clenched teeth. "Or there will be hell to pay."
"What? Are you gonna sic your rich daddy on me?", Kevin mocks. "Stop hiding behind people. You're just so fucking weak."
I slap him hard in the face before shoving him away from me.
"You just said you'd never betray me one second ago", I say quietly. "Not only are you a fuckboy, you're also a liar. Now I'm wondering what I ever saw in you. Have fun playing around with your personal slut."
I turn and run.
"Theresa, I didn't mean it!", echoes behind me as I leave him and the woman far far behind.
I am so done with this shit. I need a drink.