Chapter Thirty Six

Four days later, I find myself being visited by my father again, but this time with Gemma and Morona perched on the bed beside me.
"Your boyfriend is here to see you", Jonathon says to Gemma, avoiding looking at me. "He asked me to keep an eye out for you."
"Tell him to come here", she says stubbornly, putting the last part of our plan into place. "Not going."
"I'll get him!", Morona says, jumping up. "I have a friend coming anyway."
I watch her dash out of the room before looking at my father.
"You're uncomfortable", I observe quietly. "Want to tell me why?"
"You're restrained in a straitjacket", he says uneasily, sitting on the floor. "And I don't understand why."
"I asked to be." I shrug. "It makes the people around me safer. That makes me almost happy. It'd be perfect if the urge went away, but it's only getting stronger."
Kill him. I'm so-
"-Hungry", I mutter. "Blood."
Jonathon looks confused as I shake my head, trying to keep the monster from taking control.
"Theresa-"
"She's gotten worse", Gemma says calmly, looking at my face. "Nothing helps."
"Gemma?", Noah's voice asks from the doorway. She smiles and waves at him. "How are you doing?"
"Not as many people are monsters", she says brightly. "Come here so I can kiss you."
"Ew", Morona says, making a disgusted face, strolling into the room as Noah walks over to the bed. "Please don't."
"I thought you had a visitor", my father says to her, getting to his feet. "That was awfully fast."
"I know", she says. "It was just a quick exchange of words. He owes me a favor."
"What-"
That's when Morona plunges the knife from up her sleeve into his back, causing the red water to spill out of his body. I moan longingly, my mind aching to taste blood while the other man looks on with horrified eyes, as if he might vomit.
"That felt good." I moan again, getting up, stumbling towards my friend on unsteady legs. "No", she says to me. "Later, I promise."
Need it-
"-Now. Now." I lick my lips as the woman points the blade at Noah and Gemma, still sitting on the mattress.
"We have to get out of here", she says. "You can come and live, or I slit your throat. Which by the way, I am very good at. What will it be?"
The man swallows. "I'll come", he whispers hoarsely. "What do you need me to do?"
------
Noah walks beside us outside on the grounds, pushing up his glasses nervously, his gaze flicking from the blade in Morona's pocket to the ground in front of him.
"My car's just outside the wall", he says quietly. "Not very far."
"Good." Gemma smiles up at him. "We just have to get Morona out of here."
"I understand", the young man replies. "Believe me, I really do."
"We don't need you to understand", Morona grumbles. "We need you to take us where no one will ever find us."
"Then I have just the place."