Chapter Twenty Eight

"It's been four days", Morona announces, meeting me outside my room. "You know it's not too late to tell the nurses you don't wanna see him."
I rub my eyes friendly, trying to shake off the latest effects of the 'reward'.
"I do want to see him though", I yawn, stumbling after her down the hallway. "Where are we going?"
"To get food. You haven't left your room in three days", she tells me. "Well, when you weren't trying to murder everyone here. So you must be hungry by now."
Hungry for blood. I lick my lips, my body practically aching with the urge to kill. That can wait until later.
"Theresa, stop listening to your voice", the woman says, quickly slapping me in the face. "You got a mean one."
"It's not mean", I retort. "It's helping me."
"Keep telling yourself that and maybe one day you'll believe it."
I frown, lifting my shoulders before letting them drop.
"Can we change the subject?", I ask finally, shoving my hands into the soft robe pockets. "I don't wanna talk about this any more."
"Kay. How can you be excited for your family visiting you?", Morona replies, taking me into a dining room, empty except for a few nurses. "Family sucks."
"Does your family come here?" We take a seat on a bench, me bringing my knees up to my chest.
"My mom does every two weeks", she sighs. "And my friend does; once a month."
"My mom is dead."
"Food." I jump, quickly glancing over at Morona, who grins. "Hello, Jumpy."
--------
"Hi Baby."
I look up from the book that Morona and I are reading on the couch, a small smile flicking onto my face for a moment.
"You have ice in your eyes", Morona laughs, turning the page. "That must hurt."
"My eyes are blue, but there's no ice in them", Jonathon explains with an eyebrow raised. "What's your name?"
"Death."
I elbow her. "Morona."
"That is what it means though", she retorts, giving my shoulder a shove. "It's better than uncertain."
"Go away", I say lightly.
"I'm gonna see where they're keeping Mr. Vulnerable." The woman cackles as she leaps to her feet and dashes away, leaving me alone with my father.
"Where's Kylie?", I ask quietly as he takes a seat beside me, not saying anything.
"I didn't want her to come", he says after a moment, bowing his head.
"Why?"
"Theresa, do you have any idea how many calls I've gotten, telling me what you've done at one time or another? Seven. Seven fucking calls. I didn't want her to come this time so that I could talk to you, find out what's going on."
"The first time wasn't my fault", I whisper. "I didn't want to. I tried not to." My eyes fill with hot tears, but I blink them away before continuing. "I can't not listen anymore. I have to obey it."
"I'm not mad at you", Jonathon says, rubbing my back. "I'm scared for you, but I'm not mad."
"Can we not talk about this anymore?", I ask. "Can we make this a happy visit?"
"Sure."
My head snaps up as I hear a girlish scream in front of us.
"MONSTER!", a young woman with long red hair and green eyes screams at my dad. "KILL IT!"
I jump to my feet instinctively as she lunges, chuckling to myself as pain takes over.
Blood.
-------
Sorry for the short chapter and late update guys. One: I had to go to the high school I will be attending next year to register for classes, and two: A relative is coming over later today, so my parents made me and my twin brother clean the entire house.
Again, I am really sorry.
- Elise