CHAPTER 13.

Sarah, Beth's younger sister, gave me a quick hug before joining the line, ahead of me. I smiled when I hear Jolan asking Beth to name her baby after her. I glanced back at them. Jolan was rubbing Beth's barely noticeable bump. Beth caught me staring and lifted her veil to make a silly face at me. I made one back and we both laughed. Beth's glowing in her semi-sweetheart neckline, butterfly embroidered, A-line dress. Jodie designed it, along with the matching sandals and Jolan's dress. Jolan's dress is white and plain with butterflies as straps. When the music began playing, I looked ahead. I waited until Sarah took her fifth step before stepping onto the warm sand.

I smiled, observing all the new and old faces. I met Caleb's adoring smile, he sat in the third to last row. He winked at me. I laughed when I saw Joseph lifted Rico near Adina's ear and waited for him drooled on her before moving him away laughing. Adina slapped his shoulder, mouthing bad words at him. When I got to the podium, I looked forward and Joel caught my eye. He didn't look at me but I couldn't help wanting him to. Not to be like wow you look beautiful—no, I want him to look at me so I'd know if things would ever get better between us. He kept his eyes on his feet even when I stood directly across from him.

He looked handsome in his sky blue cotton shirt and white pants. He had cut off his dyed ends letting his dirty blonde curly fro shine on its own. His curls formed perfect ringlets of dark and light blondes, framing his face. He looked like an adult version of Jo. He had shaved his bread as well. Joelle leaned closer to his ear and whispered something, which made Joel look at me. My heart began to race as his gaze dropped ever so slowly then back up again, a half-smile tucking at the corner of his lips. He's smiling....does that mean we're good? Joelle whispered something else into his ear and his cheeks turned bright red, Joel nudged his brother, laughing. Joelle looked at me and grinned. "What's so funny?" I mouthed.

He nodded his head towards Joel. "Ask him." He mouthed back. I looked at Joel, who was staring at me with that look of his. You know that 'I'm going to devour you' look. I blushed. I guess he's no longer angry with me. If so...I'm relieved. I could barely stop myself from smiling or stop the tear that rolled down my cheek from falling

"Stop looking at me like that." I mouthed.

"Like what?" He mouthed, trying to smile. He ran his fingers through his hair, smirking. "You look nice." He mouthed.

I blushed.  "Thank you, so do you."

He looked at me as if I was crazy. "I look like an overgrown toddler." He mouthed. I smiled behind my hand and he smiled too. His smile fell and he gave me a long-suffering look. He opened his mouth to say something but stopped when the crowd stood up.

Beth walked down the aisle with her father, I smiled at them before glanced at Joelle, who was being held up by Joel. Joel looked at me, laughing then whispering something into Joelle's ear and kissing his temple. Joelle regained his composure when Beth and her father were at the edge of the podium. Joelle shook his in-law's hand then helped Beth into the podium. They interlaced their fingers. I took her bouquet of Red hibiscus, Bromeliad and pink orchids for her then returned to my spot. They stood in front of the priest, who was dressed in white and purple, glowing. "In the name of the Father—" he began.

"And of the Son and the Holy Spirit." We continued, making the sign of the cross.

"As we stand here today to join this man and this woman in holy matrimony, I want the couple and the congregation to live your life without regret—" I glanced Joel, he's looking down again, "life is too short for regret. It's better to aim to be better and live happily. The couple had written their vows. Joelle." The priest said. Joelle and Beth faced each other, then he lifted her veil and his jaw dropped.