CHAPTER 9.

Joey and I went our separate ways after we found Lani fast asleep on a lounge chair beside Nolan, Jariah's two-year-old son. Jariah came for Nolan immediately after he got Joey's text. Joey took Lani and he offered to take Jo too but I hissed at him and jogged off.

When I got to my room, Caleb in bed with his phone glued to his ear. When he saw me, he raised a brow. "Babysitting." I mouthed, laying Jo beside him. He turned his attention back to his conversation.

"Is he allergic?"

I rubbed Jo's back when he woke up. He stared at Caleb then turned his head to look at me. I smiled at him. He stared at me for two minutes before his eyes fluttered closed with his fingers tangled in my hair. I waited for his hand to go limp before I went to the mini-fridge for a bottle of water. "Well...that's strange.....yeah call me when there's no improvement," Caleb said then hung up.

"I thought I told you no more working," I whispered.

"I told them to call when there's an emergency."

"You're a doctor there's always going an emergency." I pointed out.

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "I guess so but it's worth it when the patient gets better." He said. I smiling, I walked over and sat on his lap. I gave him a nice long kiss, he pulled away when Jo sighed. "Who's lad is that?" He asked. I froze.

"He's uh...the nephew of the groom," I answered. He stared at me, studying my face. I wanted to get up but that'll make me seem suspicious, so I just looked away.

"Ok. Where's his parents?" He asked. Do I even trust myself to lie if I had to? No, not at all but I can try to avoid the question when the time comes.

"His mother is probably modeling God knows where and his dad is.....missing," I said unable to control my mouth, my voice wavered a bit. I got feel his eyes tearing holes into me. I bit my lip as my heart began to race.

"You said that your best friend is getting married, am I correct?" He questioned. Uh oh, he's figuring it out. Shit. I nodded. "And she got married to the groom....his uncle. You told me your friend that was close to once is missing....and coincidentally so is his father." Holy shit how does he have to be smart! Quick Aubrey! Grab Jo and run!

"Ok, so it by some weird coincidence that both of them are missing or is it that you meant his father the whole time?" He asked. I paused, meeting his intense gaze. There's no sense in lying, right? Like what if one of Joel's brothers realizes that Caleb and I more than friends and say something that just blows everything up in my face......and my gosh bring Caleb here was a terrible idea. Aubrey how would you be so stupid.

"Yes,"

"W-what was your relationship with his father?" He asked coldly.

"Caleb...it doesn't matter now—"

"Just answer the question." He said, gritting his teeth.

Through trembling lips, I replied softly. "W-w-we dated." He broke eye contact with me and stared into space. "But that was a long time ago and my feelings for him are gone now." I lied. He glared at me.

"How long exactly?"

I shuddered from the chill I got down my spine when he spoke. "Four months," I replied. He pushed me off his lap and got up. He began pacing.

He scoffed. "You're not over him—"

"I am!" I shout whispered.

His face was as red as a tomato. "Do I look stupid to you, Aubrey?" He asked. I shook my head. "You had a panic attack for heaven sakes, Aubrey. You call that being over you're ex?"