Chapter Thirteen

It's nightfall.

With the paper factory shut down for the holidays, the polluting smog slowly cleared from the air, revealing the true holiday nature of the condensed neighborhood.

Wibbly Wobbly street boasted a plethora of color and LED lights that were nearly blinding to look at. Christmas trees decked in gold garland and tinsel were visible in nearly every window, on display for everyone to see. Families welcomed relatives and friends into their humble homes, letting them come together to bask in comforting warmth.

Sheltered from the crisp winter chill, one little girl stood by the windowsill in her home. The room she was standing in had a luxrious atomsphere, complete with the aroma of freshly baked cookies and 'Ave Maria' playing softly from the radio. As her breath fogged up the window, she looked down upon the street, looking at all the lights and other families who were having dinner through their own windows.

Every light in every flat was turned on-all except for the one directly across the street.

There were no lights. No tree. No people in every room laughing and drinking champagne. She kept her curious gaze on the dark flat, wondering. Wondering about how Santa would come down their chimney and bring presents if nobody was home.

~~~

Russel parked the car on the curb and shut off the ignition. Instead of stepping out of the door right away, however, he remained in the driver's seat, still gripping the wheel until the whites of his knuckles showed.

Noodle sat beside him in the passenger seat, wringing her hands. She hated when Russel was nervous.

"Russel?" Noodle asked timidly. She always knew that whenever he was stressed, he would get extremely quiet and start shaking like an earthquake.

"It's gonna be just like last time," Russel said. "I'll knock on that door, then they'll remember why I haven't gone to see them for the past month."

Noodle tilted her neck, showing that she was extremely clueless. "It's because you've been working so many hours-"

"Why don't you ask Muds? He was there too, you know."

"I don't understand."

Russel opened his car door, putting his hood up against the wind. "He'll tell you why. Trust me. Stay in the car; I won't be gone long."

With that, he slammed the door shut, and walked to the back of the car. Noodle and Murdoc felt the trunk move them in their seats as Russel shut it and made his way towards the house they were parked next to.

Murdoc remained motionless in the backseat, blowing his nose into one of the many tissues he had already used. He stuffed it in his pocket, wrapping his arms around himself.

"If I have to sit here and think for a single second about why we're here, he's out of his mind," Noodle snapped. She turned back to face Murdoc, who had his head down but his eyes staring up towards her.

"You really want to know?" Murdoc said.

"Was it worse than last night?"

"No. Far from that."

Murdoc and Noodle looked out the frost-tinted window, watching Russel's shadowy outline knock on the front door. It opened, revealing Mr. David Pot.

Russel began to speak; Murdoc could see his lips form the words: "I'm so sorry." He hands David a two identical presents, wrapped in red paper and topped with a bow. David looks at Russel with a skeptical expression, but then reveals a soft smile.

The two of them exchange a small hug. David is gesturing Russel towards the doorway. Russel points to the car, shaking his head. David looks like he's being insistent. Russel makes his way towards the car, stopping for a few seconds. Murdoc holds his breath.