Makai's Shadow

Xeila stopped in her tracks as Eion ran ahead of her. When she spotted me standing there covered in blood, her eyes widened. "You..", her voice trailed off, "You're...!" 

Oka appeared beside me and gave me a sympathetic smile. "Shall we leave this place now ?", she asked. I glanced at the two who didn't move. I sighed and reached for the knife that was nearby me. Oka pulled a talisman out of her pocket and put her hands together. I held the knife out in front of me and then let go of it as it remained suspended in the air. I moved my arms out in a specific formation as a blue circle appeared underneath Oka and I. It was the same for the other two who kept their distance. A blue circle had also appeared underneath them. I nodded my head at Oka as she nodded in return and she whispered something. Soon, the light around us grew and we were in another place. We were back in the Human World.

As the light faded away, I allowed everything to sink into my mind. Now that she was gone, I was left to manage on my own in this world. I looked over my shoulder to see Oka standing by Ciel and Shuichi. She was saying something to them, but all I saw were frowns. I couldn't blame them for reacting that way. After all, Shiori was gone. The only thing that remained was her body, which was now occupied by me. I looked down at her hand and closed it. Surely, it must have been a surprise. Her Spirit Chain broke the moment that white beam of light disappeared. It shattered. After that, I couldn't feel her presence. I still can't. It's blank, as if there's a hole.

"Kana-san ?", Oka called out and I looked up. "Kana-san ?", I asked in almost a laugh. "There's no need to add the "san" at the end of my name." She slightly nodded her head. "Do you know how far away we are from the Old Ruins ?" I looked up at the night sky. "We're on the outskirts", I replied after a while, "If we head East, we'll find it." "I see." "Wait." The both of us turned to Ciel. "What is it Ciel ?", Oka asked her. Ciel turned her attention towards me. "Who are you", she said with a frown, "You.. have a different aura. It's not the same." I smirked. "What a sharp observation of yours", I replied. "In fact, it's so sharp that it's given me a reason to be more cautious." "You didn't answer my question", she pressed on. That look of concern and uneasiness didn't fade. I shrugged. "What am I to say ?", I apathetically asked her. "Besides, you should have been aware of this. Maybe if you had paid more attention, then you would have caught on to Shiori's plan. Do you even know why I'm standing here, in her place ?" There was no answer from Ciel. I turned to Oka. "I see why she asked you", I mumbled. "I assume that she was probably the last person that Shiori was referring to then." A sad expression appeared on her face as she nodded and looked at Ciel. "Yes", she said.

"Then who are you really ?", Shuichi asked, staring my way with a blank expression. It was interesting to me to hear him suddenly speak after being quiet for so long. And unlike Ciel, he held a calm composure. I chuckled and stared into his emerald colored eyes. The ones that Shiori adored so much. If only she had said. I placed a hand on Shiori's heart and smiled. "My name is Kana", I replied with a slight bow. "If you have been paying close attention to the following events that have recently occurred, then the rest of my introduction will be easy for you to piece together." "So then if I am correct", he began to say, "You are the so-called traitor from 5,000 years ago. The one that abandoned the council." "But how is that possible !?", Ciel interjected. "They said you died when the Kekkai Barrier was finalized. How is it possible for you to be here now ??" "And you believed that ?", I replied with a laugh.

"How naive. I thought that the Guardian of the Human World would be much smarter than that. That story is nothing more than a story that follows just only half of what really occurred. I guess it's to be expected. But I didn't die. I just disappeared for a while and couldn't be found. They just assumed I died. However, that assumption alone is trivial. Killed by the Kekkai Barrier ? Don't make me laugh. For example, if I had the reason to, I could kill the three of you right now. You wouldn't have even noticed. However, seeing that this body does not belong to me, I certainly do not want to push it to its limit. After all, this is a human body, rather, Shiori's. It can only contain a quarter of my strength, compared to when I was in my original body."

"If so, then how did you manage to get into Shiori's body ?", Ciel asked next, "Why her ?" "As if I had an answer to that", I replied. "Then again, it's not as if I would tell you to begin with." Ciel grimaced before glaring at me. I ignored her and turned back to Shuichi. "Yes ?", he asked when he noticed me looking his way. "Is there something you need ?" I shook my head.

"This is our first time meeting, yet it feels as though we have met somewhere before", I replied sternly. "If I am correct, I am not the only one with this feeling." To my surprise, he smirked. Although it was short-lived, seeing how it disappeared when he shrugged. "I wonder about that", he mumbled. "Perhaps we have. But maybe not in this time."

"What will you do from here Oka ?", I called out. She turned to me and tilted her head to the side. "I plan to return to the Nakanishi Base. What will you do ?" "I'm going to the Old Ruins", I responded, "I'm going to seal it." "Do you think you're strong enough ?", Ciel asked. "You're covered in wounds." I stared at her. "To my understanding, much stronger than you", I replied. "Besides, I don't feel anything. These wounds are more like cuts." She glared at me. "Do you remember whose body that is though !?" "I think you two should come with me", Oka said as she jumped into the conversation. "I want to hear how you came to Makai so quickly Ciel. I thought that Sotaru was watching over the Old Ruins." I huffed and crossed my arms across my chest as I blankly stared at her. Oka was trying to change the subject. 

"He was", Ciel sighed, walking over to her, "But I forced my way in. He wouldn't move." Oka smiled. "Are you aware of what happens to disobedient children ?", she suddenly asked. Ciel didn't respond to the question. Instead she went ahead. I shook my head at her. Oka turned to Shuichi. "You as well", she said to him. "Let's go back." Shuichi stared at me for a few seconds before turning around to walk over to her. "Understood", he said softly. She turned to me and raised her hand. "See you back at the house then", she said. I grinned. "Who knows", I replied and watched as they quickly disappeared into the night.

I sighed in dismay and started for the Old Ruins.

What a pain.