Chapter 8 - Making Things Right

Walking towards Sans's house, I sigh. They should be here, according to Sans. Reaching forward, I grab the handle and turn it. The door gives easily and I step in, quietly. They should be in Papyrus's room. Walking up the stairs, I notice something. The stairs in this AU don't creak. That's odd. Shrugging, I open the door to Pap's room. Inside sat a young child, on the bed. They look at me with wide eyes, gasping.

"Hey," I say, walking over and sitting down. They look at me with wide eyes as I bounce a bit on Pap's bed. "Papyrus's room used to be my favorite too. I mean, who doesn't want a race car bed?" I say, smiling at them. They look back down, brushing their hair out of their face. Their quiet.

"Are you an angel?" they whisper. A smile spreads across my face.

"Not quite," I say, giggling a bit. They look up at me, a tiny smile forming on their face. "My name is Paint. Nice to meet ya," I say, holding out my hand. They hesitantly take it, shaking it tightly. "You were expecting a whoopee cushion, weren't you?" I ask, laughing. Blood rushes to their face as they look away. "Don't worry, after I met Sans, I did too. Anyways, you don't seem too happy, what's wrong?" I ask. They look away.

"It's my fault. That Sans is so upset," they say. Tilting my head, I urge them forward with my eyes. "I reset too often. But I have too, or else she'll come," they say, covering their face with their hands. Tears slide down their cheeks and I pull them close to me.

"Who will come?" I ask.

"Chara," they respond, sobbing at the name. My eyes widen as her image flashes before my eyes. Pulling them closer, I shake my head. The one person who almost never changes in any world, Chara. I've had a few encounters with her, but nothing too eventful.

"Hey, look at me," I say, grabbing them by the cheeks. They look at me with wide brown eyes. "She won't touch you, Sans won't let her. Trust me," I say, smiling. Their eyes water even more as they wrap their small arms around me. A warm smile spreads across my face. "Now, go promise Sans you won't reset anymore. And if you comes after you, tell him," I say. They nod and stand up, running out of the room. Sighing, I teleport back to Sans. He looks at me, waiting for a response. "They're afraid Chara will get her," I say, looking at him. His eyes widen. "Don't let that happen, understand me?" I add, looking him dead in the eye.

"Trust me, I won't," he says. Nodding, I teleport back over to Dream. He looks at me with wide eyes. Suddenly, Frisk comes running towards Sans, tears streaming down their face. "Hey kid," he says, smiling. They jump into his arms, knocking both of them over. "Whoa there," he says, chuckling.

"I promise, I'll never reset again," they sob. Dream's eyes widen even more. Sans's eyes begin to water also as he smiles, nodding. Smiling, he pats her head. Turning to Dream, I look at him.

"Did I do well?" I ask, looking at him.

"How did you? The feeling is off the charts, they're just so . . . happy!" Dream exclaims, about to jump up before I grab his arm and pull him down. "Oh, oh right. Yeah, I kind of forgot," he says, rubbing the side of his head. Laughing, I nod. We both close our eye, and once we open them, we are back with Ink.

"Hey," Ink says, looking at us. "What were you two troublemakers up to?" he asks, looking directly at me. Rolling my eyes, I glide over to him. Dream isn't far behind as he bounces up and down.

"I saved a world," I say.

"She did! She saved Undertale from going Geno!" Dream exclaims. "And she made the good feelings go off the charts! It was great!" he adds, spinning in a circle. Ink rolls his eyes and gives me a hard stare.

"Well, good job. But what is with this Paint stuff?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, Sans wanted a new name for me, so I told his to call me Paint. You know, keeping with your terrible naming," I smile, crossing my arms. He rolls his eyes and Dream smiles. Gliding over, I look at my painting again. Blinking a couple times, I realize something is missing. The rose. It's missing. Dream glides over, looking at it.

"What? Something wrong?" he asks, looking at it. Glancing at him, I sigh, shaking my head. Ink looks back, only to turn back to his writing station.

Where could it have gone?