Chapter 8. When It Rains, It Pours

Annie's POV

I found myself standing in front of Luke's door Thursday evening in the pouring rain.

I had finished gym practice and forgot to ask for a ride home. Katie was sick, so she wasn't at practice, which meant no ride home.

Abby had to leave school early for the dentist, so again, no ride home.

Sydney's cheer practice ended early and I heard she was going to Zach'a tonight, so again, no ride home.

So, I decided to walk over to Luke's house so I could tell him how I feel.

Then arrange a ride home.

I was about to knock on the door when I pulled my hand away.

What are you doing here, Annie? Why are you trying to ruin another relationship besides yours? I thought to myself.

Maybe I shouldn't be here. I should probably just head home and—

The door swung open, interrupting my thoughts.

"Annie? What are you doing here?" Luke asked.

"Um, hey, Luke." I awkwardly waved.

"Get inside, it's wet and cold out there." Luke said as he gestured me in.

I took off my hoodie and left it on their coat rack to dry while I was there.

"Why are you here? You do know Syd's not home, right?" Luke asked.

"Good to see you too." I replied sarcastically as I sat next to him on the couch.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just surprised you're here." He said.

Me too. I thought.

"Do you need homework help or something? Because if it's biology, I'm no good at that." Luke said.

I chuckled. "No, it's not for homework."

"Well Sydney's not home, are you here to see my mom?"

"No! I came to see you, silly." I said while playfully punching his shoulder.

"Okay. What's up?" He asked, locking eyes with me.

Oh crap, it's time! What do I say, what do I say?!

"Um, I wanted to tell you something." I said awkwardly.

"What is it? You can tell me, Annie." Luke said, not breaking eye contact with me.

I hesitated. Should I really tell him? Oh, I shouldn't have come here...

"I...I..." I stuttered.

"You...you..."

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and blurted, "I like you, Luke."

When I opened my eyes, I saw that Luke's were wide open.

"You...what?"

I nodded. "I-I like you."

Luke sighed and buried his face in his hands.