Chapter 17 | Troubled

If you see errors, please correct them! I still find the tenses pretty difficult so if you see such a mistake (or one of another sort) correct and explain, please :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

''Are you hungry?'' Asami asked quietly as she watched Madara walk down the stairs. He just came back from bringing Kouta to his room. ''You haven't eaten yet, have you?"

''I haven't'' Madara answered, walking past her into the living room. Asami followed him silently, growing more nervous by the minute. She was already relieved that he was talking and acting so calmly, but he could still be very straightforward and blunt, not thinking of the emotions and feelings of others. ''But I'd like to talk first.'' He muttered.

Asami pressed her lips together and nodded even though she knew Madara couldn't see it. But Madara didn't even need to see it, though, since he took her silence as an affirmation. It wasn't like she had a choice anyway. He had a right to know what happened and they both knew that.

Madara pulled the chair away from the table so he could sit down on it and watched Asami closely at she took the seat on the opposite side of the table. She tried to look expressionless, but her body language gave away her true feelings. Raised shoulders and her elbows tight to her sides. She obviously didn't feel at ease.

Madara didn't waste time and put his hand in the pocket of his hands, taking the paper out of it before placing it on the table, pushing it toward Asami, whose eyes went from the letter to Madara. ''She just wanted to talk,'' Asami spoke quietly, her fingers fidgeting in front of her body. ''I didn't tell you because I was afraid you wouldn't let me go if you knew.''

Madara couldn't deny it. It was the truth. He wouldn't have let her go if he'd known about this beforehand. Did Asami even understand how dangerous it was for her to just meet up with Mito like that? Madara didn't spend much time thinking about it, since there were other things still bothering him. He wanted all his questions answered first. ''How did she even know how to contact you?'' He asked, and once again, Asami was surprised by the calmness in his voice

And Asami wasn't the only one. Madara also expected himself to be more vexed. Was it the fatigue that made him a bit listless now? Or was it something else?

While Madara looked at the letter on the table, lost in his own thoughts, Asami took the opportunity to observe him. Something felt off and she was slightly worried about him. His face seemed paler than usual and the tired expression on his face made Asami wonder if he even got some sleep last night. She felt a sudden urge to ask him if he was alright, but then realized the current situation they were in. Madara would surely prefer to hear the answer to his question rather than hearing words of concern.

''Mito grew suspicious once she noticed Keiji sneaking out.'' Asami replied softly, snapping Madara out of his thoughts. ''She confronted him. That's how she found out. She doesn't know about you, though. Neither Keiji or I told her anything about you being alive.''

Madara gritted his teeth as he exhaled a heavy breath. ''Keiji..'' A growl erupted from his chest. While he seemed so calm before, anger was now clearly visible on his face. He made fists of his hands, digging his nails into his skin. The thought that the only person from his clan who stayed loyal to him would run his mouth like that angered him.

Asami swallowed thickly and reached out, taking Madara's hands in her shaking ones in an attempt to calm him down. He only clenched his fists harder and,  but to Asami's relief, he did not retract his hands. ''It's okay, Madara.'' She murmured slowly, rubbing her trembling fingers over his knuckles. She swallowed thickly when her throat began to itch. ''I'm actually glad. I got to see Mito again.''