Chapter 21 | Tenderness

It's so rare for me to update so quickly XD But here's the next chapter! If there are any errors, please tell me :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

''Is he asleep?"

Asami looked over to Madara who was lying on the couch, again with that book in his hands. She hummed, walking over to him. ''Just how much did you make him run?'' She chuckled, sitting down on the edge of the cushions. ''I've rarely seen him that tired after playing outside.''

Madara didn't move his gaze, keeping it steady on the page. ''I haven't done anything.'' He replied. ''He wanted to run so badly.'' Even if he had a neutral expression on his face, Asami could hear the slight amusement in his voice, something that made her think about what Keiji said before he left. He definitely didn't talk like this when he first got here.

Asami's eyes went from Madara's face to the book he was reading. The cover didn't have an image on it, it was simply dark blue with the title written on the front and on the spine of the book. It looked very familiar to Asami. She had definitely read it before, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't remember what it was about.

''What are you reading?'' She asked, leaning a bit closer, hoping to see more of the pages that way. ''You were also reading that this morning.''

''A book.'' Madara replied, still not looking up. Asami had never seen him so intrigued in something before. It made her incredibly curious.

Rolling her eyes at the answer, she took the book out of his hands and turned it so that she could read its contents. While Madara let out a grunt, letting her know that he wasn't exactly pleased with her actions, Asami ignored him and scanned over the words. ''Ah, I remember now.'' She mumbled, a small smile forming on her lips as she turned the page. ''You have good taste.''

Madara grumbled, taking the book back and returning to the page where he left off. ''Of course, I have.''

Asami raised an eyebrow at his arrogant remark, but decided to brush it off shortly after. ''Though,'' She continued, standing up from the couch that was mostly occupied by Madara, leaving only little space for her. ''I think you'd like this one better.''

Madara watched her as she took a few strides to the bookshelf. There was only about seven books; three thick ones and four thinner ones. The one Madara was holding was also pretty thick. While a lot of people prefered to read books that wouldn't take very long to go through, he never cared about the amount of pages, as long as the story was good.

Asami had to stand on her toes to reach the highest shelf and she also needed to use her nails to pull the thick book with a black cover from the shelf. With a gratified sigh, she turned around and smiled at Madara, holding the book in the air. ''It's similar to the one you're reading now.'' She said, walking back to him. ''But this one's got more suspense and it way more unpredictable. It's one of my favorites.''

Madara sat up, resting his back against the armrest while his legs still took up a big part of the couch. Asami sat back down and turned her body so she was facing him. ''Do you want to read it? I'm sure you'll like it.'' She held out the black book to him, but Madara didn't instantly take it from her. He first looked at the one he was currently reading and noticed he was already reaching the end. 

Since the book was heavy, Asami felt her arm beginning to ache slightly. ''Well?'' She asked, starting to get a bit impatient. ''If you don't want to, I'll put it back on the shelf.''

Only a few seconds after she said that, Madara took the book out of her hands and put it down on his stomach. He was still busy with the other book after all. ''I can give it a try.''