Chapter 4 | To Learn

Asami couldn't stop thinking about what she saw in the bedroom earlier this day. The scar on Madara's chest was really troubling her. Before, she was afraid to ask Madara what happened, but now she felt like she could question him about everything at this very moment.

But she didn't.

Right now wasn't the right time. She'd have to wait a little longer, which only made her more scared of how it'd work out.

Due to her mind being occupied by both pessimistic and hopeful thoughts, which were complete opposites, she didn't really pay attention to the current situation.

Asami's uneasiness didn't go unnoticed by Madara. She wasn't eating her food and was constantly playing with her ring, the one they made their promise with. This was the first time he saw her wearing it again, which somehow relieved him a bit.

''Mommy?''

It took Asami a few seconds before it finally got to her that her son was taking to her. Blinking in realization was the first thing she did before she stopped playing with the ring, holding it tightly between her fingers instead. She looked at Kouta. Asami didn't say anything, but just glancing at him was already enough for Kouta to know that she had heard him.

''Are you okay, mommy?'' Kouta asked, looking slightly concerned.

Madara sighed. Even the kid noticed the mother's odd behavior at the dinner table. He was both annoyed and curious. Just what was going on in that mind of hers? What was she thinking about while looking so anxious? What made her so restless?

Was he the reason?

He wanted to know.

Asami smiled softly at Kouta and nodded her head. ''I'm fine.'' She replied reassuringly. ''Just lost in thought.''

Madara narrowed his eyes. It was already very obvious that she was thinking about something so much and so seriously that she wasn't paying attention to anything or anyone around her. ''What were you thinking about then?'' He asked before he took a sip of his water, his visible eye not leaving hers.

Madara's stare made her swallow thickly and she began to play with the ring again. She was starting to get a bit nervous. The way he looked at her, the way he said those words and the way he nonchalantly drank his drink were all signs that he knew. He knew what she was thinking about.

Asami looked away from him and picked up the cutlery that was lying on both sides of her plate. ''Nothing important.'' She answered in a soft voice.

Asami didn't know if she should be concerned about Madara knowing or not. Was it a bad thing? He was bound to find out anyway. Madara already knew that she didn't always feel comfortable around him anyway. Maybe him being aware of her thoughts would only make it easier to start a conversation later this evening.

Now with a mostly positive view for the rest of the day, Asami continued to eat the rest of her meal while the other two were already done. The food wasn't very warm anymore, but Asami didn't care. Not today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After doing the dishes, Asami dried her hands and put the cutlery, glasses, and plates back in the cabinets. As she looked out of the window, Asami noticed that it had gotten pretty dark outside already. But even through the darkness, she could see white flakes falling out of the sky.

It was snowing again.

Asami sighed and pulled the roller blind down. Turning around, she looked at the small fireplace and pursed her lips. She'd have to gather firewood soon. There wasn't much left in the basket that was standing next to the fireplace and there wasn't much left of the wood Madara had thrown into the stove.