Chapter 23 | Problems

If you see a mistake, please correct me :)

----------

Asami looked at her two Uchiha that were standing in the doorway from the corner of her eyes as she was making lunch for the youngest one. A smile tugged at her lips when Kouta was lifted into Madara's arms, squealing and laughing in delight. He was absolutely thrilled when he saw his father standing in the living room after he finally came downstairs.

Asami wasn't very thrilled to find out that Kouta went down the stairs on his own while he still hadn't fully recovered. She already got sweaty hands when she saw him near stairs, even if he was totally healthy. He did look better than yesterday, but she was going to try to keep him in bed or on the couch as much as possible.

Amusement glistened in Madara's eyes when Kouta buried his face into his chest and hugged him as tight as he could. Madara placed his hand Kouta's head and ran his fingers through his messy and short hair. He turned his gaze to meet Asami's, who only took once quick glance at him for a few seconds before looking away. She knew he noticed the slight fakeness in her smile this morning and she felt guilty for even trying to fool him. Of course, she was trying! She really wanted to but the memories of what he did to her kept holding her back. 

Heaving a sigh, Asami looked up to the cabinet above her that hung against the wall and her eyes fell on the ground cinnamon in the small jar on the highest shelf. She hated it that she put the spices she rarely used where she could barely reach them but the kitchen was small and space was limited. 

Just when Asami climbed onto the counter, knowing that she won't be able to grab it while standing on the ground, an arm around her waist pulled her off of it and a hand easily took the jar from the shelf. Asami flinched at the touch, not expecting him to do what he did, and looked over her shoulder. Madara looked down at her with a frown on his face. ''You could have just asked.'' He said as he put the cinnamon down next to the plate with the french toast.

''I've always done it like this.''

Madara looked down at her but he only got to see the back of her head. She had turned back her face to what was in front of her and didn't even turn around to face him when talking to him now. He knew very well that she didn't mean to be rude, even though she sounded that way, she simply was embarrassed. Pressing his lips into a thin line, he moved his hand from her gaunt waist up to her shoulder and leaned down. ''You don't have to force yourself.'' He spoke, feeling Asami tense under the palm of his hand. She turned her head to the side, but refused to make eye contact and kept her gaze steady on Madara's fingers as they gripped her shoulder tighter. ''You're trying, and that's already good enough for me.''

Asami pursed her lips for a moment before taking his hand off of her and turning around. ''It's not good enough for me though.'' She mumbled, leaning against the counter. Her clammy hands grasped the edge firmly as she lifted her head. She still didn't have the confidence to look him straight in the eyes while talking about this subject though, so the decided to focus on the wall behind him. ''I really want to believe in you, and I do. I just need some more time for this feeling to grow.'' 

The few seconds of silence that followed made her feel uneasy. Why wasn't he saying anything? Maybe he was just thinking, or waiting for her to continue. Slowly and hesitantly, she moved her eyes to meet his gaze, but before she could do that herself, a hand took her face and turned it toward its owner.

Madara didn't let go after his calm orbs locked with her widened eyes. He understood her feelings very well, but there was no need for her to feel bad for something that he caused. It was his fault that she still doubted him, not hers. ''Stop looking like that.'' He grunted, only making Asami furrow her brows even more than she already was. He couldn't stand the face she was making. Her guilt was only making him feel guiltier and he hated it. ''There is no need for you to be sorry, so stop looking and talking so apologetically.''