Chapter 4 - New Beginnings

2:00AM

"Second time this is happening huh?" Dempsey said as he startled Kat who was sitting on a chair on the balcony with a cup of coffee.

"How are you not asleep, it's 2:00am!" Kat said, shocked that he was still awake.

"I could ask the same of you," Dempsey retaliated.

Kat gave up, and turned around in her chair.

Dempsey pulled up a seat beside her and had no problem making himself comfortable.

"Didn't know California was this chilly at this time of the year," He remarked.

"It's like seventy-five degrees," Kat rolled her eyes at him.

"I'm nervous for this mission," Dempsey blurted out.

Kat looked at him, "Nervous?"

"I don't know. It just seems...different," He replied, rubbing his hands together.

Kat couldn't help but noticed his battered knuckles. She wondered how he would react if she asked him for details about what happened.

Dempsey seemed to notice the way her eyes we glued to his hands and he sighed.

"It was just a fight Kat," He responded to her unspoken question.

"You need to treat those wounds," She stared passively at him.

"Come here," Kat got up and motioned for him to follow her back into the house.

Dempsey followed as told and couldn't seem to help the smile on his face at the thought of Kat dressing his busted knuckles.

Kat led him downstairs and into one of the main bathrooms.

"Sit," She commanded, gesturing to the closed toilet seat.

Dempsey did as told and looked around at the luxury bathroom. He thought he had nice bathrooms, but these were the size of a large room.

A few seconds later Kat was standing in front of him with several antiseptics and bandages in his hand. She set some of them on the counter next to them.

"Close your eyes," She told him.

"Yes ma'am," Dempsey smirked at her as he closed his eyes.

Kat playfully flicked his forehead.

She stood in-between his legs as she leaned down to press the cold cloth gently on his eye.

"That's really cold," Dempsey murmured.

"Stop talking," Kat snapped.

Then Kat rubbed cloth over his eye and then dabbed it with a paper towel.

"Hands," She said softly.

Dempsey immediately lifted his hands up and Kat quickly dabbed a cloth with rubbing alcohol over them. Dempsey quickly flinched and his face constricted in pain.

Kat rubbed Neosporin over the wounds and then wrapped a bandage around them.

"All done," She said proudly as Dempsey's eyes fluttered open.

"Thanks," He smiled weakly.

Kat smiled back and tried to step back, but tripped on Dempsey's shoe and fell forward.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry," Kat breathed as his face was just inches from hers.

He grabbed her waist to steady her and smiled, "No problem."