Chapter 15 - Honesty

"So, it's not my Aunt killing those people?" Nadine asked Macey in a relieved tone.

"Nope. We found out who it is, and we have a plan."

Macey had met Nadine in the morning for coffee and tea to talk about what had happened.

"So will you find her?"

"That's the whole plan, to find her and the paintings."

"And she'll be put in custody?"

"Most likely."

Nadine nodded slowly, as if she was still processing everything Macey had told her.

"Well, thank you for helping with this."

"You're totally welcome. I'm glad you got closure and found out exactly what was going on!"

"I'm glad too. Bye Macey, it was nice meeting you."

"You too Nadine."

Macey sat there and sipped on her passionfruit tea as she watched Nadine sling her purse over her shoulder and leave the cafe. She ran her hands through her hair which she had styled into loose bouncy waves in the morning. Macey wore a plain white v-neck shirt with a pair of rolled up skinny jeans and Birkenstock sandals. To be honest, she had realized she was late to meet Nadine and had thrown something on as quickly as possible.

"How'd she take it?"

Macey almost jumped one foot in the air as she looked up and saw Zach standing over her.

"Oh my gosh Zach you scared me!" Macey swatted him on the arm.

"You didn't hear me coming?" Zach took the seat across from her.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought," Macey sighed and sipped her tea.

"So, how'd she take it?"

"She was really calm about it and we said a friendly goodbye."

"That's good," Zach ran his hands through his dark hair.

"Why are you here?" Macey found herself looking directly into Zach's eyes and holding a steady gaze.

"I just thought I'd check on you," Zach smiled a little.

"You're convinced I'm like dying or something huh?" Macey chuckled.

"Well, Dempsey told me about how you've been feeling lately and I just wanted to watch out for you."

"Dempsey told you what?"

"He told me about the anemia and you constantly feeling tired."

Macey felt her blood boil under her skin. So maybe she hadn't directly told Dempsey not to tell anyone about what she said, but she thought it was fairly clear that it was personal.

"Of course he told you," Macey smiled grimly.

"I just want to make sure I'm here to help you, if you need it."

"Thanks, but I'm fine."

•••

When they got back to the suite Macey stalked up the steps and opened the door to Dempsey's room without knocking.

"Ever heard of knocking?" Asked a startled Dempsey who was throwing some clothes into a suitcase.

"How could you tell him that? That was between me and you!"

At first Dempsey seemed confused, but Macey watched as his eyes faltered once he figured it out.

"I was just worried, and I thought he could help!"