Chapter 7 - Mistake

Bex was fidgeting a lot more than she normally did as they sat in a booth at the same restaurant they had been to yesterday. She placed her hands on her lap and tried to ignore the burning gaze she was receiving from Hale across the booth. After he had first kissed her last night, the kiss drowned her and before she knew it he had lifted her onto the counter and it was a full-blown make-out session. Then, they had both heard a noise and dashed into their rooms like the guilty teenagers they were. Bex knew that Macey would skin her alive if she knew about it. But aside from Macey, Bex tried to think about herself. She thought she liked Dempsey, right? Except, she didn't really know Dempsey. He was attractive, clumsy, and goofy and that's about as far as her knowledge went. But she couldn't deny the attraction with Hale. When Hale had first kissed her in the basement of that small museum, Bex had forgotten they were on a mission, she had gotten lost in his kiss. Last night was the same thing. Try as she might, Bex couldn't deny the physical attraction. If only Hale weren't such an ass.

"Sorry I'm late," The short brunette slid into the booth next to Dempsey.

"That's okay," Macey smiled at her and took a sip of her tea.

"So what is it you guys needed to talk about?" Nadine asked, running her hands through her wild hair.

"Malashonak. Does that name mean anything to you?" Zach asked her.

"No. Why?"

"The painting Julia stole, that's the name of the family that donated it," Zach explained.

"We have to get to them," Nadine asserted, with urgency in her voice.

"WE, don't HAVE to do anything," Zach growled.

"No, Nadine is right. We need to warn them," Kat rebutted.

"This isn't our fight," Bex reminded calmly.

"People's lives are at stake," Dempsey hissed.

"Tonight," Hale said authoritatively, "We warn them tonight."

"I'm coming," Nadine commanded.

"God, I hate this," Zach ran his hands through his dark hair.

"We'll all go," Kat gave Nadine a small smile.

"Do you have a nickname, Nadine?" Dempsey asked the brunette girl.

"Well, some of my friends call me Nad..." She replied.

"Nad," Dempsey said the nickname as if he was testing it, "I like it.

"Why the hell does that matter?" Hale looked at Dempsey.

"I just wanted to know," Dempsey shrugged his large shoulders.

Their meals came and everyone discussed when they would meet and managed to find the address to the Malashonak residence.

"Where are you staying, Nad?" Dempsey asked.

"Oh just this run down place," Nadine admitted.

"You should come stay with us," Macey offered, ignoring Zach shooting daggers with his eyes.

"No, that's fine," Nadine smiled, sensing Zach's tenseness.

"Can we sight see a little?" Macey asked suddenly,"At least till it's time for us to go."

Everyone looked at each other silently and seemed to agree with Macey.

"Then let's go!" Macey exclaimed excitedly, sliding out of the booth.

Everyone followed suit and soon they were outside of the restaurant surrounded by the beautiful city.

The street that the restaurant was on had many shops and before she could blink, Macey had dragged Kat into one of them.

Kat rolled her eyes but couldn't help but smile at the girl that she was growing accustomed too.

Dempsey lightly tapped Nadine on her shoulder to get her attention.

"Yeah?" She said, without turning around to look at him.

"Tell me more about yourself," Dempsey smiled.

"Like what?"

"What's your favorite color?"

"That's a dumb question."

"Just answer it."

"Fine, it's turquoise."

"That's a pretty color."

"Most are," She looked up into his eyes.

"Well yeah I guess," Dempsey shoved his hands into his pockets.

"You're kind of dumb," Nadine smiled.

"I get that a lot," Dempsey smiled back.

Zach, Hale, and Bex had been walking together behind the rest and Zach knew something was up. They usually were arguing, instead, they were being unusually quiet. Zach basked in the unusual silence until Hale found a store of antiques and made his way inside.

"Why's he so quiet?" Zach looked at Bex.

"No clue," Bex replied, shrugging her shoulders.

They walked further in silence till Bex noticed Zach staring at the back of Dempsey's jeans.

"Checking out his butt?" Bex sneered.

"Oh yeah, isn't it cute?"

"I mean, I guess..."

"You totally think he has a cute butt."

"Well yeah."

"Hey Dempsey," Zach called to the guy walking ahead of them, "Bex thinks you have a cute butt."

Bex looked at Dempsey in horror, "He's kidding, he's totally kidding."

Dempsey laughed, and turned around, continuing his conversation.

"I could kill you, Goode," Bex hissed.

"I'd like to see you try," Zach stuck his tongue out at her.

Bex laughed and smacked him on the bicep. She was happy that through everything, her and Zach still remained good friends.

They rounded a corner onto another street littered with small shops and Bex's eyes almost fell out of her head when she saw Townsend talking to a street vendor.

"Zach, do you see who I see?"

"Yeah. I do."

note: I really enjoy comments, so you should leave some! tell me how you liked the chapter or even if you didn't like it. tell me what you think is going to happen next or just any thoughts! i read every comment! xx