The Dial

Chapter 10:

Best friends always stick up for you no matter what the situation is. They stand up for you when your being bullied, or feeling down. That is my buddy Juan. He has always been there for me, and I have to him. We have been best friends since kindergarten. That means that we have gone through almost all our lives together.

School felt so short today. The classes seemed like 2 seconds, and lunch I barely even got to finish my burritos. It felt nice that school was going by quick. I always liked school, but today felt like a day that I needed to take a break from it. It felt like I was in school for only a hour, but I was at my locker getting ready to go on the bus.

"How you been?" Juan asked, and now he was on his "getting into people's business" mode.

"Fine you," I asked in return.

"Good good," he said with that weird sound in his voice. I wonder if one day he would turn into a clown for the circus.

"That's great to here," I said enthusiastically. I was trying to sound like I was at least very happy.

"Well are you calling tonight," he asked, and I have heard him say that every time. It was like continuous now.

"Yes I will try this time," I said with a grin, and he smiled.

"That's my boy," he smirked. He sometimes is like a brother, but sometimes like a punk.

We ran to our bus, almost late, and headed to an empty seat. I was looking out the window, while avian there goes Juan and his crazy call of duty crap. I was thinking about Valerie. I know I have been doing that a lot lately, but this time for real. I never knew her real personality, which was far what I thought it was. I always thought about her looks, not how she was in real life. I had a whole new perspective.

Our bus dropped us off at our bus stop, and we jogged home. Every Tuesday, we jogged home just to get some exercise. It was our way of getting leg muscles.

"We should carry less stuff on Tuesday don't you think," Juan complained, sweating drops the size of golf balls.

"No," I said," it motivates us to do more."

"Well then that is true but crazy," he said sarcastically.

He said bye to me once we jogged to my house., and I saw him stop jogging when he thought I lost sight of him. What a punk. I entered the house, and it seemed quiet. Usually, my mom is in the kitchen cooking me up some dinner or snacks. But it seemed awfully quiet at my house. I found a note on the dining room table. It read:

"Went to by groceries, be back by six."

That was a relief. We were running out of food, which was temporarily my fault. But that wasn't the whole reason. If ideas going to talk to Valerie, I didn't want my m to overhear me. She would be jumping I'm front of me like a five year old who just won a Barbie doll house. She had never seen m talk to a girl over the phone, ad I didn't was her to see me.

I did my homework as fast as I could. I blew through all of it in like half an hour. I didn't want to waste no time. When homework was done, then I made myself a quick snack before I did anything with the phone. Quick quesadilla, which was one of my favorite snacks. This time, I ate real slowly trying to gain confidence. This was all a first to me, and I didn't want to screw it up.

It took me twenty minutes, but I finally finished my quesadilla. I was the plate and headed upstairs to my bedroom. This is so scary I thought. I was going to call a girl. I was so excited I could've jumped from my bedroom window. I went through yesterday's pants that I wore. I found the slip of paper with the phone number. This was it.

I grabbed my home phone and dialed her number. It was quite difficult to dial, but I did it. I waited and waited and waited until I didn't hear the ringing anymore.

"Hello," I answered first, and waited for an answer. I never heard a response. I was about to hang up the phone until I ears the faint, sweet voice.

"Hey Fernando!"