Speakers' Corner

One thing we know, which the white man may one day discover - our God is the same God

One thing we know, which the white man may one day discover - our God is the same God. You may think now that you own Him as you wish to own our land; but you cannot. He is the God of all people, and His compassion is equal for all...

- Chief Seattle

One delightful aspect of being a student is. . . the many holidays.

But - honestly speaking - we students of the WFA definitely needed every single one of those in order to survive. Or at least to remain sain.

And even though I personally fared a lot better than the rest of my struggling classmates, as I had learned to stay focused on the present, I very much appreciated the liberty those precious free days provided.

For the semester holidays I went to visit Beni in Graz, incurring my most painfully sore muscles, ever. In places I had never even known existed.

How?

By playing squash with the boy and a very enthusiastic friend of his, on my second day in the City.

Bad move!

After all, Beni's apartment was on the fourth floor.

No elevator.

An almost insurmountable obstacle for the rest of the week!

For the Easter holidays, I had an even more physically challenging plan: to go on a week-long trip to London. With my boyfriend. Who, in case you have not noticed, simply loved traveling. And moving about. In any way, by any means.

With some support from our parents and by plundering our bank accounts, we were able to afford accommodations in a cheap B+B and the entrance-fee into some of the most famous sites like Madame Tussauds, the London Dungeon or the Palace of Westminster. We even managed to get into some musicals, like 'Cats' and 'Starlight Express'.

On our third day, after an extensive tour through the city in the exceptionally (or so we were told by some friendly natives) warm spring air, Beni and I were enjoying a stroll through Hyde Park.

Well, as far as accompanying my boyfriend could ever possibly qualify as strolling. Leisurely hurrying was more like it. Whereas he thought our speed of walking was leisurely, while was convinced we were hurrying.

Which was not surprising, really, since Mother Nature had - in addition to his 1,87 meter height - gifted Beni with a pair of rather long legs.

(Which he had once displayed during carnival, when he had borrowed my mini-dress and paired it with a black wig, net-stockings of the same color and high-heeled shoes. Except for the fact that they were rather hairy, I had been quite envious of his shapely legs.

And it seems that I had not been the only one to appreciate them, either. Since, much to his disgust, Beni got hit on a lot by some drunken (straight!) men that night, who obviously had lost their power of discernment a few glasses prior.