Prospective Partners

''Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction

''Love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.''

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"Dancing school!" Luk guffawed. "Who on earth goes to a dancing school?" His baritone voice boomed through the café, where our little group had met once again.

"Well, we do!" I declared indignantly. Sofi nodded furiously to support my claim.

"Dancing school, oh my, oh my! May I have this dance, my lady?" Basti sang in a false falsetto voice, causing Luk to snigger.

"Hey!" I protested. "Ballroom dancing is fun!" If you happen to have a partner to dance with, I silently added.

"Sure!" Basti taunted, while Luk shook his head.

"Actually, Beni and I are also attending a dancing school!" Marti suddenly piped up.

"Really?" Sofi and I chorused.

"God!" Luk groaned. Shaking his head, he grabbed his glass of beer. Probably to drown his feeling feeling of disgust.

Basti, on the other hand, looked a little hurt. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"We did!" Marti defended himself, pointing at Beni, who had just emerged from the restrooms. "We told him, didn't we?"

"Don't tell me you are taking dancing lessons, man!"

"Which one did you chose?"

"Huh?" Beni took his seat opposite from me, looking a bit puzzled.

"You are attending a dancing school?" I tried again. "Which one?"

"Uhm. . . Mirabell, why?"

"Oh!" Should I enlighten him about the subtle differences between the two schools? I decided against it. After all, Beni and Marti did come from the countryside, the kind of clientele that was typical for Mirabell. A little less polished. . . Although I was one to talk, since I didn't exactly live in the city, either. But, again, I had grown up there. . . and I went to school in Salzburg. . . as did Beni. . . A bit confused, I decided not to pursue this train of thought any longer.

"We go to Moll!" Sofi gushed excitedly. "We could go dancing together sometime!" She smiled, looking lovingly at Marti.

Luk turned to Basti, making gagging sounds.

"Great! Tons of balls will be held in winter!" Marti agreed enthusiastically.

"By the way, do you know about the big ball of the season: the one in the Kongresshaus?" Sofi asked, her head swirling back and forth between Marti and Beni.

"Yeah, that's the one place where you won't ever see me!" Basti scoffed.

"Damn right!" Luk agreed, taking another swig from his beer.