Chapter 8: Secrets

ADMIN NOTE:

So the girl in the photograph is how I imagined Mal, but if you've got different thoughts, that's okay too! Also this is a long one so enjoy!

Happy Reading!

————————

I woke up gently, to the sound of everyone working outside. The clash of metal and people yelling orders, it sounded a lot more like a quieter factory. I sat up and stretched my body outwards before swinging my feet over the edge of bed and sleepily dragging myself towards the door and down the stairs.

I couldn't here anyone downstairs so i assumed Dad was already out, helping around the community. As i got into the kitchen i saw a note on the table:

Mal,
Gone out early, got chores to be done
rations are restricted now, we're running low
but take a cereal bar from the cabinet.
Go meet more people and come back around three,
-Dad

I read the note before placing it back down and opening the cabinets to find a small stack of cereal bars, i took one before heading upstairs.

As i walked towards my room i caught a glance at the time on my old watch, eleven twenty am. Shit. I've slept in so late, everyone's going to think I'm hopeless.

I ran into my room and changed tops, from my light red shirt to my checked blue and white one and tucked it into my jeans under my combat belt, staying in the same jeans, before rushing into the bathroom and splashing some water at my face, in hope it would wake me up slightly. I did work.

I walked out the house a few minutes later, my hair flowing in my face with the wind. I glanced around, I didn't know anyone but Carol really, who was sitting outside on a porch of a lovely old cream coloured house, with the pregnant lady, who i think is called Maggie, doing some cloth washing, soapy buckets and damp clothes spread around the, both.

"Malia!" i heard Carol call ushering me over, i strolled towards them, hands in my back pocket and smiled, "Hi Carol" i replied timidly, noticing Maggie looking at me.

"Maggie, Malia, Malia, Maggie" Carol said to us both, i held my hand out and shook Maggie's hand, "Nice to meet you" I replied politely.

"Your Daryl's daughter, ain't ya?" Maggie asked, she was very pretty short haired women with gorgeous green eyes, skinny, despite the large bump on her stomach. "God, I can see a resemblance, you got his eyes" I smiled, to me that was a bad thing though, i've always wanted lovely green eyes like hers, not horrible muddy hazel.

"I think Rick's looking for ya" Carol told me, dipping a shirt into a soapy water filled bucket and scrubbing it, Maggie doing the same, "He's gettin' Carl to give ya a quick tour"

I nodded to her, "Alright, thank you" I told her turning away and heading to the old place I knew he could be, His house.

I glanced around looking at everyone, they all seemed to be doing something, whether it was stacking cans, helping in the farm, or transporting equipment from one place to another. I felt so stupid, walking around looking at them, I almost didn't see the women walking towards me carrying some firewood.

"Woah there!" She laughed, a few sticks dropping to the floor. I bent down and picked them up quickly, before handing them back to her.