Chapter 9: No longer usless

ADMIN NOTE:

So guys this one is kinda cool, you see more Carl x Mal, and i came up with their ship name

MALARL

lmao its kinda dumb, but i hope you enjoy this part

Happy Reading!

———————

I hadn't really talked to Carl since the guard tower, which was yesterday. We kept our distances and sometimes exchanged kind glances.

I wasn't complaining, Carl and I don't exactly see eye to eye on most things. I started sketching out in the woods so i could get away from everything.

I was in the woods now, sitting, drawing, mainly sketching trees because that's all i could find. It was cold today. I'd only came out in a top and a sweatshirt, jeans and my normal walking boots. I instantly regretted it the second the wind picked up, normal November winds.

"It's bloody freezing" i mumbled to myself, getting up loading my sketching stuff in my bag and throwing it over my shoulder.

I never went far from Alexandria, i could still see the walls, just enough to hear silence. I plodded back towards the gates, as i drew nearer, i saw it was Tara at the gates now along with Paul.

"Where you been Mal?" asked Tara, leaning over the edge of the guard tower down towards me, "Out. Drawing" i replied, shuffling on the stop waiting to be let it. Suddenly Paul peered over.

"You need to come in ?" Asked Paul, climbing down and approaching the gates.

"Yeah, thanks Paul" i told him, as he hauled it open, allowing me to walk threw, "Call me Jesus, after all, your one of us now" he replied, i shot him a quick smile before ploughing threw Alexandria towards my Dad's house.

I liked it here, I liked it a lot, and everyone was nice to me... I just couldn't help feeling... like an outcast.

"Malia!" I heard a voice call, and the heavy thud of boots jog up behind me, it was Rick.

"Oh hey Rick," i said, turning to face him, smiling, "what's up?"

He took a moment to catch his breath before explaining, "You've been assigned to water duty" he told me, the inside of me filled with excitement, I'd finally been given a job!

"What's that?" I asked curiously, Rick pointed to a small well in the far corner of Alexandira next to the farm.

"We're running low on bottled water, so we're going to start filtering again," he told me, "It's already sorta fresh and good to drink, but just to make sure, you carry it in bucket's and then empty it into those large water barrels by the pharmacy" then he pointed to a small building next to Father Gabriel's chapel.

"Rosita and Eugene will filter it, them knowing how to and all" he alas spoke, before placing his hands on his hips, "You'll do this job every Monday and Friday" he told me again, "Wednesday, you'll do farming, you got me?" i nodded, a grin on my face, i was going to prove to them i wasn't usless.

As i began to head towards the well i saw someone else already there, someone I recognised, as i drew closer, i scoffed. Carl.