Prolouge

"With a score of 71.48....Marrisville High School Percussion Ensemble!" the announcer proclaimed. The ensemble clapped excitedly. I stood between Denver and Gabe who each gave me excited expressions.

I look at my sister, Eliza, who stood at the front with the other three seniors. Her smile was wide as she shook the hands of each judge. They called the rest of the ensemble over and gave us our medals. The smile plastered on my face couldn't leave. Millions of photos were being taken and I wasn't sure where to look. After a few more words from the judges, the awards ended and the crowd dispersed. Mr. Wires called us over.

With one last pep talk and a group photo, we finished and got on the bus. I sat with Denver as the bus rode on.

"Can you believe it?" he asked me. "We won!"

Gabe and Tommy turned back in their seats to face us and listen. "I'm actually not surprised," I say. "I saw it coming. We really pulled off a great show. And we can thank Mr. Wires for that."

Gabe pointed at me. "She's right."

I glanced at the front of the bus at Mr. Wires, who spoke with our instructors excitedly.

Tommy noticed. "Must be excited that we won."

"It's not exactly something you can get over so easily. Marrisville hasn't ever gotten first in IPA," Denver added.

"All the reason to celebrate!" Eliza leaned over. "We're having a party at Dad's next weekend. It's supposed to be really nice out, so we can play hide and seek, bear, and sardines!"

"Nice? Outside? In the beginning of February?"

"I guess so. You know how Iowa is."

"Yes!" Gabe and I high-fived. Games with the band were the best. The rest of the ride consisted us talking about the season. As I continued to think about it, I realized how unnoticed this would go by my peers. In fact, it made me laugh.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

We had reached the school around 1:30 a.m. Unfortunately, we had to unload the trailers holding our instruments. As Denver and I worked, we spoke about the performance.

"Denver, Olivia," Mr. Wires called us. We set down the bass drums in the storage room and joined him in band room. The rest of the ensemble sat in there.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"No way!" Joel shouted. Mr. Wires had just announced that the ensemble would be performing at Nationals, a new edition to IPA Percussion.

"Yes! We will be representing Iowa at Nationals in New York City," Mr. Wires confirmed with a laugh. I looked at Denver with wide eyes. He did the same. Then we attacked each other in a hug.

"No way this is happening," I mumbled into his shoulder.

"I know right? Wires has to be pulling some sick joke," Denver agreed. We parted and I looked at him. I noticed how handsome he looked when his hair was a mess.

I shook my head slightly, snapping myself out of my trance. I'm in eighth grade and going to Nationals. That's what I needed to focus on.

Denver had always been an awesome guy, my best friend even. Sure, he was a grade above me, but we saw each other in the halls all the time and talked a lot.