Chapter Thirty-One: The Date

(That evening; Denver's POV)

"See you all there!" Olivia smiled and waved to the screen before it went black. The video already had over three million views and comment upon comment about the event. I scrolled through a few comments:

This is absolute bullshit! They can't even tell us what kind of characters we need to prepare for? A man whose username was RapperShine5736 said.

The fact that they have to even do this is ridiculous. They're CHILDREN. Come on, America; I shouldn't have to be ashamed of my nationality. A woman named Margret Vine commented.

The fact that they were able to book a crazy awesome theater like Nederlander is freaking awesome. A person named Broadwayfrvr638 added.

There were so many different emotions happening here. I gave up on finding some positive ones full of encouragement and shut the app.

"Denver!" Kasey yelled. He burst into my room. "Denver! DENVER DENVER DENVER!! DENVVVVVEEEERRR!"

"What?" I responded calmly.

"I have a date!" he squealed. I jumped from my seat.

"You do?"

He nodded excitedly. "Yes!"

Ever since Kasey came out, he's been treated fine, but he always talks about how difficult it can be to find a gay boy in our small school. Anyone that is typically is younger than him; like, a lot younger than him. Any chance that Kasey got to get a date, I wanted to make sure that it went well.

"Holy shit." I ran a hand through my hair. "Okay, okay, who is it?"

"Caleb Snyder." My smile fell.

"Snyder?"

"Yeah!"

"Dude, really? Caleb?"

"Yeah," Kasey gave me a weary look. "What's wrong with Caleb?"

"That dude is the biggest player in the school behind Sammy. I'm not sure if this guy is the best choice."

"Player? The guy's gay. He doesn't have many options," Kasey reminded.

"Kasey, that's his way of doing things. He switches his sexuality all the time to get dates."

"What? I've never heard of anything like that. How come you know more about my classmate than I do?"

"He's got the same weight room schedule as me. I hear him talking to his friends when I'm lifting. The guy's not exactly the quietest."

"Maybe he's changed," Kasey urged. He really wanted to go on this date, I can tell. I bit my lip. How do I reason with him?

"Has he really?"

"Denver, you're supposed to be happy for me! This is my first date! I thought you'd support me here."

"But—"

"Besides, that's just your opinion of him! You're not seeing the right side of him."

"Kasey, I'm sure there are other people that would disagree."

"Who? Olivia?"

Kasey's eyes sparkled. "Yeah! I'll call her and see."

"Okay..." I knew how would this go. Olivia hated Caleb Snyder. He would barge into her science class to talk up a storm with the science teacher and flirt with some of the students. He once spilled ink all over her clothes during a science experiment. That just so happened to be the day that someone had stolen all of the class aprons. Yeah, she's not very fond of him.