Chapter Eleven: The Snow Day

(one day later)

Ah, snow days. A day when we're blessed by bitter weather, the wonders of sleeping in, and staying warm. I would say relax as well, but that's not I had in store today.

Ding! the doorbell rang.

I opened it to reveal a new sight to see on my porch: Clayton, Amia, Becca, and Brian. Their pink noses sniveled as they shivered out in the cold.

"Hi, come on in," I greeted allowing them to enter. The four scrambled in the warm house.

"Warmth at last!" Brian cheered as I waved goodbye to his mother, Mrs. Lancaster. She waved back then drove off. Normally, I'd be super uncomfortable to see my math teacher show up in at my driveway when I don't have school, but I didn't feel that with Mrs. Lancaster. She was a wonderful woman that many people respected. I think that she influenced Brian's reputation as a Royal, but I was just now discovering that some Royals were pretty decent people, so I didn't really know.

My mom walked out of the kitchen and smiled. "Hey, guys! How are you?"

"Fine, thanks," Becca said.

"Good," Amia answered.

"Cold," Clayton and Brian grumbled. I rolled my eyes.

"I present, my class." I gestured to them. "Mom, this is Amia, Becca, Clayton, and Brian."

She shook each of their hands. "Wonderful to meet you all."

"As well as you." Becca smiled. I've noticed how mature she was compared to the others, but also how quiet.

"Mind if we go in my room?" I asked Mom.

"That's fine." Mom nodded. "I'll just be doing a little baking to warm up the house."

"Okay. We'll just be upstairs," I said as the four following me upstairs.

We reached my room. On the door, I had a sign that read, Warning: You are entering a writer's office. Enter with caution. I had received it as a gift from my aunt a while back as a random gift and meant to take it down a long time ago, but couldn't be bothered. I opened the door and stepped in and out of the way, allowing the others to come in.

"I like your room!" Amia gushed looking around.

"Thanks. I try to keep it clean," I answered.

"What's this on the wall?" Clayton asked pointing to the blanket pinned to my wall.

"Probably some kind of shrine," Brian joked.

"It's a blanket that my grandmother made for me. It's supposed to be a customized blanket. See?" I pointed to a photo of my family. "That's my family." I pointed to a group photo of the winter percussion ensemble. "That's my percussion ensemble." I pointed to a photo of me holding my trumpet with a few other musician friends of mine smiling at the camera. "Me with music." There were a few other things on the the blanket, but I left them. They were simple things: friends, marching band, a typewriter, etc. "Get it?"

Brian nodded as he inspected it further on. "Yeah. It's a cool blanket. Why don't you use it as a blanket?"

"I only use it if it's extremely cold in my room, but it hardly gets cold in here. It's usually hot. I actually have my window cracked open a bit." I gestured to my window.

The four took in the rest of my room. It was lit only by the light of the snow outside and Christmas lights that hung around my bed in the corner.

"Can't see anything in here," Amia exaggerated.