Chapter Eighteen: The Other Thoughts

I ended up setting the table while Kasey got orange Kool-aid and poured them into cups. Mom set the meatloaf on the table and cut slices, setting them on the plates. We finally got settled at the table. Mom started asking questions, all of which she demanded answers.

"So," she began. "when did this happen?"

"About half an hour ago," I answered before taking a gulp from my drink.

"Where at?"

Kasey and I exchanged worried looks. "Uh," I responded quietly as I wiped Kool-Aid from my mouth. "in her room."

"What?" she demanded loudly.

"We were all in there, anyway!" Kasey tried to reason.

"You saw it? Who's all?"

"Everyone that we were with. No one saw it," I answered. "Just Olivia and I."

"Was this a lip kiss or..."

"It was on the cheek," I said through a mouthful of meatloaf. Mom had yet to touch her food. She sat rigidly on cushion of her chair like a pole in the ground, giving me and my brother weary look that was enough to make us confess our deepest secrets. She was quiet for a moment before speaking again,

"Sooooooo. . . what does this mean?"

"It means nothing as of right now," I decided.

"Nothing? Denver, you just kissed a girl. That means everything!"

"You act like I've never had any association with a girl before."

"Not in this way!" She pushed her plate away from her and set her arms on the table. She reached for my hand and took it gingerly, something she did only she really had something of an important matter to speak to me about. It also cut my eating off, as I am right handed and could do literally nothing with my left hand, not even hold a fork. "Denver, listen, you are fifteen years old. This is the age where most young men experience changes in their personalities. They find themselves doing things they never thought they'd find themselves doing. Is this making sense?"

I stared at her with my mouth hanging to the floor, horrified with I just heard. The sound of a fork hitting the plate told me that Kasey had dropped his fork. What the hell had I just heard?

"Uh, Mom," Kasey wiped his mouth with his napkin. "is this something you to need to talk while I'm here?"

"Yes, you never got it, now's a better time than ever."

Kasey pushed his plate away and put his head in his hands. "I'm not emotionally prepared for this."

Mom took Kasey's hand. "You two are overreacting. These changes are simple and important. They turn you into men."

I need to get out of here. I can't do this. Mom continued to speak until I absolutely couldn't take it anymore. I put my other hand on hers.

"Mom, please listen. Yes, Kasey and I are growing up, but this speech isn't necessary. So I kissed Olivia, but it was nothing. I don't know if she likes me and she doesn't know I like her."

"So tell her," Kasey urged. "She likes you just as much as you like her."

"We can't be certain about that."

"Yes, we can."

"Okay, I can't be certain about that. For all I know, you're bluffing and wanting me to make a fool of myself or you're getting mixed signals and she likes someone else," I suggested.

"Who else could she like?" Kasey sat back in his seat and crossed his arms smugly.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. Clayton? He's been at her house a lot lately."

"And you've been texting her a lot lately."

I sighed. I don't want to talk about this. I don't what my feelings are so how am I supposed to know what Olivia's are? This is a conversation for later. We will cross that bridge when we get there.

"Can we save this for another time?" I finally ask. "My meatloaf is getting cold."

Mom patted my hand. "If that's what you want."

"Thank you." I let go of her hand and began starring down my meal, only speaking when it was absolutely necessary.

Did Olivia like me? I wasn't sure. Besides, it's not my place to ask her right now. She's got her hands full. That notebook was filled with numbers and names, so she must be busy. When this all blows over, I'll give it a shot.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dinner was over and I sat in my room, my thoughts taking over my once simple mind.

You've got the hots for each other, Kasey had said.

This is the age where most young men experience changes in their personalities, Mom had said.

Was this a phase, or did I actually, legitimately like Olivia? When the time came, what could I even say? Perhaps if I knew more about what her feelings are. . .

Olivia does a lot of research for her writing. Is there anyway I could get some research to find out what her feelings are? What could I do? How could I talk to her to figure a few things?

I sat at my desk for just a little bit longer before getting up and retrieving my iPad from my bed. I pulled up the app, FaceTime. There, Olivia's name was at the top, being the most recent chat I had in here. I tapped it, hoping she wouldn't answer.

Her face appeared on the screen, a nice grin resting on her lips. She looked happy and that made my happy.

"Hey, Denver!" she greeted kindly. "What's up?"

"What are your plans for your love life?" I blurted. Shit, I just said that.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello, mates! How are you today?

I know I haven't had author's notes lately, but I've been so busy lately, I haven't the time to add those in. I'm trying to get through these last few days of school!

How'd you like the chapter? This one is short, I know, but it was more if a filler.

If you liked the chapter, give it a vote and comment what you liked most!

Time for the question of the chapter!

"If you could tell your crush you liked them in any way possible, how would you do it and why?"

Let me know your answer in the comments!

That's all for now! Bye-bye, my jammy readers!