Chapter Three: The Talk(and snickerdoodles)

"Hey," I called into my house. I caught a whiff of something heavenly amazing. "Mom?"

Quiet and frantic speaking was heard behind the kitchen door. Slowly, I exited the kitchen and walked into the living room. There, I saw Mom and Denver's family sitting on the couch. They didn't notice me quite yet.

"—called me," Mom finished.

"She never called you?" Mrs. Green repeated. Mom shook her head.

"She must be in shock," Denver suggested.

"She stormed out of the room once the bell rang," his younger sister and one of the Royals, Maria, said. "I would assume she went to the band room. They tried to get her back in the classroom, but Mr. Wires said he needed to calm her down. She must have been crying."

"I was biting," I corrected. All eyes landed on me. "Crying wasn't in the picture."

"Where did you come from? You weren't on the bus," Denver asked.

"I walked," I replied slowly pulling my backpack off my back.

"You walked?"

"I literally live three blocks away from the school. What were you guys talking about earlier?"

"Olivia," Mom said getting up. She pulled me into a tight hug. After a moment, she pulled away and asked, "You were biting?"

I nodded.

"Where did you go?" Maria asked.

"Eliza called me and said to get Tommy. I found him and he took me to the band room."

"Why'd you go to him?"

"He knew what to do." Maria gave me a confused look. I brushed it off. "Is that green bean casserole I smell?"

Mom smiled and nodded. "Grandma Mora's."

"Awesome." I took a seat next to Denver.

"Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

I nodded. "I'm fine." He didn't look convinced.

"Why'd you leave?" Maria asked.

"It was crazy in there. The teachers couldn't even handle it. I had to get out of there. But I heard you guys already had ideas spinning around once I left."

She nodded proudly. "I think it's in good hands so far."

I crossed my arms and sat back. "What'd you come up with?"

Her face fell. "We haven't come up with anything quite yet. But we some good ideas."

"What were they?"

She thought frantically. "Someone suggested a musical about our struggle."

"Struggle? With what?"

"School."

"I don't think there's a struggle with school. We get along fine. No one's failing. How do we turn that into a musical?"

She stayed quiet for a moment then said, "That wasn't the only idea. We wrote them down. Clayton has it. We really did come up with some good ideas."

"I bet we did." I nodded my head. I glanced up at her and saw Maria glaring at me. I had embarrassed her; good. I wonder how many of those ideas were from the Royals.