Chapter Thirty-Two: The Airport

(Olivia's POV; May 13th)

I've never been in an airport before. It's not exactly what I expected.

I expected something like the movies; windows covering the walls, help desks everywhere, tall ceilings, and restaurants on every corner.

The one that the percussion ensemble sat patiently waiting in was the opposite; almost no walls, not many desks, pretty short ceilings, and the only restaurants in sight were McDonald's and Panda Express.

I sat next to Taylor, who was passed out on my shoulder wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt. How? I wasn't sure. It was almost 80 degrees in here. I was on my phone for a long while, as our flight was running late due to storms. I casually scrolled through Twitter when I stumbled upon my video again. I checked the retweets. We were up to 348.42 million retweets. I whistled at the sight of it. Taylor stirred on my shoulder. Thank God she did; she was starting drool.

I gazed at the rest of my schoolmates. They all sat around in an area that we had claimed as ours. Our bags were thrown about here and there and everyone moved freely to talk to one another. However, they did so quietly as it was almost 4:30 in the morning and we were all exhausted.

Yesterday, the staff held a party right after school as a good bye for the next seven days and for us eighth graders, for the next three months and two weeks. At school, we did what we call the "Walk of Fame" around the school. It was a time when the entire school gathers into the halls and whoever we're celebrating takes a stroll past the crowds. We went as a percussion ensemble but the loudest cheers came whenever Taylor, Toby, and I walked past.

I saw that everyone had their things stuffed into one normal sized bag, but the three of us had two pretty big bags. I was surprised that I was able to fit over three months of clothes in that. The school said they would provide for us to wash our clothes at the end of each week, which made the class erupt in excitement over once I had told them. I can't believe that for a minute, I thought the school would make us carry around dirty clothes for that long. The corporation may be small, but they still care.

Kasey sat down next to me with his filming camera. "'Morning, Olivia," he greeted kindly.

"Hey, Kasey," I responded. "Whatcha doing there?"

"The school asked me to film what I can of our seven days here."

"Seven?"

"We leave on Tuesday; the day after the contest."

"Well, you do. I think I'll stay for just a little while longer."

Kasey laughed and turned the camera so it faced the two of us. "Well, guys, if you don't don't know already, this is the fabulous Olivia Mora, the director of her challenged class's musical and our very own bass three! Any words on the production you can share?"

I thought for a moment. "We hope to see many faces at auditions!"

Kasey frowned. "Not what I wanted."

"I know what you want and you ain't getting it, buddy."

Kasey huffed. "Fine." He flipped the camera and zoomed in on Taylor. "Tired, aren't we?"

"We all are." Denver took a seat next to Taylor.

"And are you this fine morning, Denver?"

"Same as the first two times you asked me; fine." He grinned. He looked at me. "You ready?"

"Absolutely!" I smiled. "I can't wait for finals!"

"See? Even at 4:30 in the morning, we're excited for the next few days ahead of us!" Kasey cheered. Taylor stirred on my shoulder and sat up. She saw Denver holding his hand over his mouth to keep from laughing and Kasey's snickering behind the camera. I gave her a smile.