Chapter Twelve: The Recruits

(one month later)

"Okay, let's get started, shall we?" I announced to my class. We were back in the Gray Room on Monday this time. The extra period that gave us a fill-in class was now abolished, replaced with daily meetings. The class fell silent, all eyes falling on me.

"Alright," I continued. "First off, I'd like to thank Toby who brought in cookies for us all. So you will please join in thanking him, that'd be great."

"Thank you," the class chorused in our squeaky, puberty-filled voices. I couldn't help but chuckle when I heard us speak as one.

"Awesome. So, next," I looked at my schedule. Mom had bought one for me as soon as she found out I was the director. "I am proud to announce that the first draft of our play is finished and currently being edited. I've asked Mr. Kelsall and Mrs. Fay to edit it, so once they are finished, I will begin putting in changes."

"Have we come up with a name yet?" Maria asked.

"Not yet. As of now, it's titled 'WRA Draft.'"

"WRA?"

"Women's Rights Act. WRA."

There were moments of realization throughout the class. Oh's and ah's spread across the room.

"Moving on," I said. "As soon as we get our final draft finished, we'll be in major business.

"Now, there are a few things I need to ask you all. Because this is a musical, we need to create music. There are two people that I know are extremely capable of this and I pray that they'll accept, but before you guys throw hissy fits, know that I'm not choosing these two because they're my friends. They're both extremely talented musicians and they'd be great at it. Taylor and Toby, would you be the composers of this production?"

All eyes went to the two who sat toward the back. Taylor was mortified. Toby stared me down angrily.

"You did not just pull me into this," he stated blankly. I gave them both a pleading look.

"Please?"

Toby took a deep breath. "I'll do it."

"Taylor?" She was mute.

"By ourselves?" she sorrowfully asked.

"Not at first. If you like, I can ask Mr. Wires to help you with editing the music. But once we really get started, you will be pretty much on your own. I can help gather an orchestra if you want."

"Don't they have to be paid?" Toby reminded.

I sighed, knowing that I was going to hate the words that come out of my mouth. "I'll take care of that."

"How in the world are we going to raise money for an orchestra?" Toby demanded. "Or any of this for that matter?"

"Actually," Clayton added standing up as he flipped through his copy of the packet. "Due to how wealthy America has become in the recent years with changes in producing the non-renewable resources, we don't need to worry about money. According to the Challenge, the corporation deals with that. We're only in charge of what we purchase and how paying is dealt. That's about it."

I smiled. "There you go. You have nothing to worry about. Find who you wish. Though, if you can, please keep it at a reasonable cost."

Inside, I wasn't as happy about that. This is the wealthiest country in the world, and here we are, wasting our riches on some stupid Challenge. Don't get me wrong, a buttload of stress had been lifted off my shoulders when Clayton revealed this, but I felt this hole of guilt deep in my gut that I couldn't shake.