Chapter Six: The Help

(Olivia's POV; same day)

I walked out of the band room laughing at Toby as he tried to pull the paper bits out of his hair.

"Did I get it all?" he asked. I still saw a piece resting on his head. I pulled it out and handed it to him.

"There you go."

"Thanks. At least someone cares!" He glared at Taylor.

"Hey, watch it!" someone yelled. I looked around and saw Maria walking fairly quickly. I rolled my eyes. She probably broke a nail or something.

"Olivia!" Eliza called me over from her locker.

"Yeah?" I approached.

"I need you to stay after school. Joel, Tommy, Missy and I have an ensemble to practice for. We'll be in the auditorium if you want to sit and do your homework." I watched her pull my laptop out of her locker. "Mom told me to bring this for you to work. You had already walked out the door before she could give it to you, so I took it."

"Hey, thanks." I smiled as I took it from her. "I'll see you in the theater."

I walked to my locker and put my stuff away. It was strangely quiet in our hallway. Usually, I can hear the Royals talking about Instagram and Twitter, but there wasn't much conversation. I zipped up my backpack and walked to the auditorium. When I walked in, I listened as Joel and Eliza tuned their instruments, a sound I found quite familiar.

I put my backpack one on the tables off to the side when Eliza came over to me and handed over money.

"For the vending machine," she said.

"Thanks." I walked to the cafeteria and looked at the machines holding the wonderful snacks. We had four machines; two for food and two for drinks. I settled for two small packs of goldfish, fruit snacks, and a water bottle. As I pulled the water bottle from the machine, I heard footsteps approach me. I stood up and saw Amia, Clayton, Brian, and Becca, a few Royals. They looked like a mess. Brian was running his hands through his hair constantly, Becca was biting her nails, Clayton was clutching to his chest a pale blue notebook with a floral pattern on it, and Amia was in tears. "Uh," I raised an eyebrow at the four. "you guys alright?"

"Can you help us?" Amia demanded. I was baffled to hear this, seeing that my last conversation with her was an argument.

"Depends," I responded slowly while opening the fruit snacks. I popped one in my mouth. "What is it?"

"Can you outline this musical?"

I choked on my fruit snack. "I'm sorry?"

"Can you help us write an outline for this production?" Clayton repeated.

"Why isn't Maria doing it? It is her musical anyway."

"What?"

"Nothing. I didn't think you guys would need my help. Maria said you had it under control."

"Maria walked out on us," Brian mumbled.

"She left?"

"Yes and no." Clayton put a hand on Brian's shoulder. "She got mad and said that she gives up, but I don't know if she's one hundred percent out or if she just needs to calm down."

"Why was she mad?" Though I'm pretty sure I already knew the answer.

"We suggested that you outline the production," Becca explained.

I freaking knew it! I yelled in my head. The grip on my bottle tightened as I laughed. "Is that so?"

"Are you gonna help us or not?" Brian demanded loudly. I cocked an eyebrow at him. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair again. Quietly, he added, "Sorry I yelled."