Advice

Cara POV

I decided to just lay on my bed after Michelle dropped me off at my house.

"Honey?" Mother's head popped around my door.

"Yeah..." I replied and looked at her. Her brown hair was pulled up into a ponytail.

"You alright?" She asked before sitting beside me.

"I wish I could say yes." I looked at her, her brown eyes were full of concern.

"Why?" I could hear her momma bear instincts kicking in.

I told her everything, ending off with, "So Magna threatened to reject him before killing him.." She sighed.

"Oh, my baby... I am so sorry, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the ones you love."

"Did you ever have to decide that?" I asked out of curiosity and she nodded.

"Yeah, you wanna hear my story?" She asked and I nodded, shifting to the side to make space for her.

She lay beside me and took a deep breath.

"I was your age when I first met my mate. His name was Gerald..."

"Wait, so Dad wasn't your first mate?" I interrupted and she shook her head, no.

"We were happy, but after a year, he lost his mother in a rogue ambush. He changed overnight and became abusive as well as possessive." She sighed before she continued, 

"The abuse had gone on for another 2 years. I believed that it was just a phase- I convinced myself somehow that it was because he cared and was afraid I would also be killed..."I saw a ghostly smile lingering in her eyes.

But I was so wrong... Something was just nipping at me that this was not right. So I took the heavy decision of rejecting him, but because we weren't fully mated, the broken bond's pain only lingered in me for a year or so."

" I convinced myself after that day, that was the end of everything but just like before, I was so wrong. I was out with my friends one night and he tried to kidnap me. In self-defense, I made the fastest decision and killed him..." She shivered probably because the memories were showing themselves to her again after so long.

 "I was guilt-ridden for more than a year. I was on trial for the killing, but they didn't find me guilty because a lot of wolves came forward and testified that he was not himself anymore. During the madness of recovering from the trial, I met your father..." She smiled and looked at me. 

She gave me a soft smile. "Sometimes the first mate isn't always the perfect match for you, it is just there for you to be tested to see if you would know what is right for you." She ended off and kissed me on the forehead.

"Just remember, think before you do something you will regret." She warned before getting off my bed and making her way to the door.

"Mom.." She stopped at the door, only her head turned sideways to listen to me.

"Yeah, honey?" 

"Thanks." I could only barely see the small smile making its way on her face.

"No problem honey." She replied and disappeared out the door.

Her words played around in my head

Sometimes the first mate isn't always the perfect match for you

With that, I drifted off to sleep with flashbacks running around in my head.