12. Red Race

After about an hour of science term and eggnog gelato we got to the point. "We don't have enough supplies. Why are we even making a plan off we can't put it into action?" Trinity said setting down her gelato container.

I looked at her and picked it up. "We at least have to try." Leon had been pretty quiet when he wasn't trading papers or making snark comments.

I was beginning to realize why she called him Sheldon, he knew every way to fix her short falls (no pun intended).

"We need to raid the hospital. That's the solution." He said for once pointing out the obvious.

Trinity sighed but I answered. "Do you honestly think that no one has looted them? Even before the full swing the hospitals weren't helping." He looked at me with an annoyed expression.

"You said we need to try what do YOU think we should do?" Leon said taking another bite of his Mint Chip gelato.

I put my hands over my eyes, waiting for an idea to come to me.

It didn't.

Trinity looked at a printout and shook her head. "I guess we have to go." She said with a voice of defeat.

I nodded with my eyes closed.

"Okay. Let's take a walk." Leon said setting down all of the papers and walking towards the stairs.

It was cold outside and the moon seemed to be glowing. We were walking around past Lucky Chinese food and a gas station I didn't know the name of.

We were walking by a school and I seemed to feel the loss near it. Every time I passed it a traffic clump had gathered, but now it was empty with no hope of repopulation.

Trinity and Leon were still on the sidewalk with me near the gutter.

Walking with them was different from walking with Blaine and Deedee.

It reminded me of a book series, one I still hadn't read but heard about from friends. The Divergent series with the 5 factions. We had all taken the faction test in the back of the book and were not surprised by our scores. Trinity was Amity (peaceful), Deedee was Dauntless(brave), Bailey was also Daintless, and I tested Candor (honest) and (Eurodite). With Deedee and Blaine it was like modern Dauntless, now it was like modern Eurodite.

We walked past it and I started singing 'A Team' by Ed Sheeran, before all of this I was a sheerio and obsessed with Lorde. It was weird, we were just walking. There was no talking or anything.

As we approached a field area I saw a light sort of like a bond fire, by some trees. I pointed to it "What is that?"

Trinity and Leon looked over and looked curious. I began walking closer until I realized I was weapon-less, I took out a knife. I had stolen it from Alex when we left Rayley's, not that he'd miss it.

I can't believe it was just this morning.

It was about 4 1/2 inches long and sharpened to perfection. I don't know where he would have got it because I had never seen anything like it here. It had a strange point on the end that curled upwards.

Leon nodded at me as I pulled my black hood up and he tapped his converse against the ground.

Trinity just looked curious as we began approaching. The overgrown grass was crowded with thistles that stuck to my black jeans. I could hear voices but no one I knew and I could see people behind the trees huddling next to the bonfire. Leon hid behind a tree trunk hiding him perfectly, Trinity crouched in the grass and I peeked over the 3 foot cliff at the people.

I could hear them now but they weren't talking they were singing.

A girl about our age with side bangs and unnaturally red hair was singing the 'Cups Song'.

"When I'm gone, when I'm gooone." She had incredible vocals that would embarrass Anna Kendricks and put Ellie Goulding to shame.

A taller guy that looked a little older than Leon began singing 'Radioactive', Trinity's jam. She began humming loudly, I didn't have the heart to stop her.

Leon looked at them and began visually searching their area. I looked around at the fire in the middle that seemed to be burning a little too fast.

I looked at it closer stepping over a few inches.

They were burning books. Not textbooks but novels, I saw a familiar gold cover that was partially burned.

I ran without hesitation tripping a little. I crabbed it and ran into the opposite side of the forest as the people look at me.

I ran as fast as I could trying to dodge the branches and debris in the way. I jumped over a log and felt my ankle pop loudly. I squealed but kept running in a limping state as I heard someone stomp through the trees after me.

I keep running until I hit a paved road an glance around feeling lost. I see the red haired girl burst out of the forest with a steel bat. I glance around and take off towards the cemetery for some reason I don't know.

I run down the trail hearing the gravel crunch under my feet and head towards the far section of older graves but I keep tripping. Some headstones are broken or dirty while others are in perfect shape. I trip on some fake flowers and they catch on my boots. I keep running.

The girl seems to be gone but I don't feel safe I look around slowing my pace as my ankle begins to throb. I trot towards a tall sculpture of an angel.

I sit down behind it and rub my ankle which has a strange bump on the side. I sit there staring at the rows of white and grey headstones.

My head feels light so I close my eyes, for a second forgetting where I am.

Within moments I was asleep with no hopes of return.